Dehydration recovery? How long?

socaldixiegal

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2015
New to BYC and have had my two Rocks since the summer. Had an issue with a pet sitter and watering - came home from a trip Thursday to absolutely no water in the run (2 gallon bucket with bottom nipples). I think it had been empty for a while. My smaller Rock was listless, head crooked onto her back and pretty much catatonic. Had hit the crooked head/seizure stage.

I quickly put out water, forced her to drink and squirted water down her throat. Jumped here and online and made some homemade electrolytes. Been getting that into her and yes, read a lot about how to euthanize. She's definitely getting better. Eyes open and moving. She's interested in food again but still a bit wonky on the pecking. Back to making some cooing sounds and is walking around since Friday.

The one thing that is still happening is after drinking she's still sometimes doing a bit of a head crook seizure. It's now Saturday. Wondering if this is just still a lingering side affect of being so dried out. Anyone had any similar issues with severe dehydration? She also hasn't developed nearly as fast as her sibling who has been laying eggs for about a month. She's smaller and still pink.

Thoughts, advice?

I've never dealt with severe dehydration but it sounds to me like you're doing everything entirely right.
What an awful pet sitter!!
The head crook could end up being permanent, although hopefully it'll straighten itself out the longer she gets normal hydration.

Make sure she gets fluids at 10 per pound, repeat in 60-90 minutes, then a few more times every 4 hours. Might be helpful to add a little sugar to the water. Make sure she is pooping before you let her eat.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom