Dehydration: Symptoms, Cure and Prevention

Pics
I have three ducks and I went out to check on them and they were out of water. One dead, one weak, and one fine. I automatically thought dehydration. The weak one wasn't convulsing and she was doing okay. I followed the instructions in this and then she got weaker, stopped drinking, and her nose stared bleeding. She died but I'm not so sure it was dehydration now. I'm really worried about my third duck because if it was illness, I dont want her getting it. Can anyone help?
Welcome to BYC, sorry for your losses. I hate to say it, but it sounds like maybe it was duck plague:
https://www.northeastwildlife.org/disease/duck-plague

Where do you live?

How long does it take for a chicken to fully recover from dehydration? Sunday afternoon I noticed one of our 3 month olds was lethargic and panting, but still eating and drinking. I brought him into the basement and set him up there for the night. He seemed brighter yesterday morning, but still didn’t want to stand up, so went and got him electrolytes and mixed that with some grower, which he gobbled up. He’s doing better again today, but still unsteady on his feet, and still wants to lay down a lot. Still eating and drinking fine and I checked all the usual things (breathing, parasites, poop) and I can’t see any issues, so I am assuming dehydration and heat stress, but maybe I’m wrong?

Back
Top Bottom