Delaware genetics for dummies?

My hens have just started laying. . . . I think the eggs show good potential for the LARGE size eggs that they are suppose to lay.

HOWEVER, I just got some hatching eggs and they were much smaller than I would of expected for Delawares. I set some speckled sussex eggs at the same time that were only slightly smaller. . .

So, the question is . . . how many of you are noticing SMALLER eggs than the "LARGE" delawares are suppose to lay?

Yes, yet another aspect of delaware genetics to be watching for. . . .. .
smile.png

I think most breeds of chickens lay smaller eggs to start with, but lay bigger eggs as they get older. I have some 2 year old hens that lay huge eggs.

Quote:
I expected it from my own hens, since they were just starting to lay .. . . but I was surprised to receive small eggs from shipped eggs.

I didn't know about them being smaller from the winter break . . ... perhaps being in Florida my girls don't really take a total break from laying then.
I know our heat stress them out and the egg production almost stops towards the end of summer . . . . I think they molted last year about that time too.

barnie.gif
I remember not being happy when I came back from the nesting boxes then. . .
barnie.gif

I don't remember the eggs being smaller when they started back to laying, but then I was so grateful just to have eggs
wink.png

I'll have to pay closer attention this year. .. .

From the two feedbacks so far, I would say that no one is noticing smaller than Large eggs from their delawares on a regular basis. .. .

pop.gif
Thanks for responding . . .
pop.gif
I like to see in what I am observing is typical of delawares in whole . . . . as just wierdness at my end!
lau.gif

last summer I would say the ones I have laid mostly large eggs. Far more consistent then they were during the winter. Now as it's warming up, they're all over the spectrum. Some smaller, some huge. Though up here is going to effect more that I would expect in Fl.

My roo has too muck black in his tail and too much brassiness.

I was told that the brassiness is from a recessive white issue that can be magnified by a diet high in corn OR sunlight exposure.
I would think the too much black in the tail is an recessive white issue too.

So, genetics people . . . .. . Am I likely to fix or improve BOTH issues my breeding to a hen that has too much white in the tail area ? ?

IMG_1741.jpg

I may be asking this question in the wrong topic, but I am new to chickens and have gotten concerned about genetics.

I have one line of Delawares from Paul Harter. I desperately tried to hatch a second line with no luck, so now I am concerned about breeding. Is it a must for me to have a roo from a second line in order to breed them or will I be ok for a couple of generations?

I also have this same scenario with Speckled Sussex and Barnevelder....so I am very interested in what is said here.

That makes me feel better! I was thinking I was going to have to make another road trip to get roosters! My wife would have thought I was nuts (more so than she already does!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom