Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics
We call those "crawdads" around these parts....
big_smile.png

Tom, I'm sick of this weather too. It's crippled my garden and we never seem to dry out. I have used many bails of straw trying to keep the chicken pens decent. Otherwise there would have been a lot of cooped up birds.

Thanks for the kind comments about the Germans. Flounder......that is one of the finest of foods when it's fresh caught. Unfortunately the states have the size limits so high that the rare keeper is almost elderly and you kinda feel bad to keep it.

The spatchcock that we ate was really yummy. It wasn't as pretty as the picture Kathy posted but it could have been with the right cook. It was moist inside and crisp outside with plenty left over for chicken salad.

Yeah and I think those just to the north of ya'll call them "crayfish" whatever huh LOL they all taste the same when boiled up in a big ol pot of crawfish boil with corn, onion, and taters for the side dishes.
droolin.gif

Jeff
x2 with all this rain we had them in our front yard, but a few at a time. Wish they were a lots of them
to put in the pot.

I have some new information regarding breeding the pullets with the Columbian type colored hackles. I asked about it on an exhibition poultry forum and this was the reply:

"Barring is sex-linked on the Z chromosome: males can have 0,1 or 2 copies; females 0 or 1.

Females with solid hackles simply lack that single barring gene. That part is a pretty easy fix.

What happened was the original cross resulted in males with only 1 copy of barring, and females with 1. When mated together, some of the resulting F2 females could end up with zero copies of barring. This could persist through single-copy males or non-barred females (or even males) on down to what you see today.

If the males you have now have barred hackles, they have at least one copy of barring. I would select for males with the more distinct barring in hopes you are choosing the double-copy ones, and mate them to their non-barred sisters.

You should get at least a portion (half) of the resulting females with barred hackles.

If you get any non-barred offspring from that cross, you know that the parental male was only single copy, and I would probably avoid using him again in the future unless you had other good reason to.

In time with selection for barring and use of test matings like the above, you can reach the point where all males are double copy and the strain breeds true."

This was written by Joe Emenheiser. I don't know him but am assuming he knows what he is talking about. Worth a try, anyway.

Females with solid hackles simply lack that single barring gene. That part is a pretty easy fix.

OK - when you say "solid hackles " are we referring to the dreaded "columbian" hackles ?
Just trying to simplify for Tom who's not college educated.
When you start talking Genetics / chromosomes #s - I need to take it real slow to understand

Thanks for digging up the info Kim and I do think I understand the theory .

Originally Posted by capayvalleychick

OK - when you say "solid hackles " are we referring to the dreaded "columbian" hackles ?
Just trying to simplify for Tom who's not college educated.
When you start talking Genetics / chromosomes #s - I need to take it real slow to understand

Thanks for digging up the info Kim and I do think I understand the theory .
Yes, that's what I meant.
smile.png
I failed high school genetics, so I'm a real idiot when it comes to all the terminology that gets discussed. But that explanation made sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom