Delawares from kathyinmo

Thats interesting - I feed Southern states "Rock n Rooster " Pellets - they are 18% and always in feeder - supplement 1 heaping tablespoon of two day fermented whole oat/wheat with a smidgen of cracked corn - oyster shells on the side - all the table/kitchen scraps go out there also - Cockerels get added
some Calf Mana Pro from 14 weeks to cull - extra last two weeks.
Also bugs and clover as everybody free ranges after 14 weeks
What kind of oats do you ferment? How do you ferment them? I can get whole or rolled oats in 50# bags. The scratch I get has oats in it. Should I buy a bag of whole oats to ferment?

What brand of 18% feed do you buy. I can get Agway Egg Producer pellets here. Right now they're on a 16% protein pellet.

Do you think we focus to much on the protein part of feed?

What type of feeders do you use? Should I be just giving feed in pans like I do now?

Last edited:
What kind of oats do you ferment? How do you ferment them? I can get whole or rolled oats in 50# bags. The scratch I get has oats in it. Should I buy a bag of whole oats to ferment?

What brand of 18% feed do you buy. I can get Agway Egg Producer pellets here. Right now they're on a 16% protein pellet.

What type of feeders do you use? Should I be just giving feed in pans like I do now?
Everything I ferment is whole except the cracked corn and there is not much of it in mix - I read rolled grains lose nutrients so I stick with whole. I ferment each day for 48 hours and rotate - start out with grain , add one tablespoon vinegar with mother , hot water and let sit 24 hour. I do this in empty ice cream pails [1 gallon] after 24 hours of soak the whole gallon sits in a 5 gal bucket with a 75 watt flood light about 6" over the top for another 24 hours . This all rotates daily - each bucket is made with one days feeding at one heaping serving spoon per bird. My FF feeders are 4" pvc pipe cut in half length wise screwed to two 6" pieces of treated 2x4 to keep it straight - the ends are open to drain.
My Mix is primarily winter wheat , then oats and corn in a 8/2/1 ratio - heavy in winter wheat because I get it in trade for eggs from local farmer. Check with local farmer as a lot raise winter wheat for alternate erosion control .

The pellets are Southern states brand "rock n Rooster" [18% not a layer mix ] and served in hanging feeder off ground so they can eat but high enough they can't scratch it out of the feeder - found it reduced waste a lot- feeders are the plastic 7 and 10 pound ones and stay dry in coop -that brand does not have calcium so they get free choice oyster shells .
I saw some Pics of someone else's nice looking birds on BYC and that is what they were doing and I just followed along .
Its working for us .

I think 18% is adequate but I'm not a expert on it just know it seems to be working . My birds free range [in Enet] after 14 weeks and when they do pellet consumption goes way down - We would free range sooner but they go thru the Enet.
When finishing cockerels for kill I add some Calf mana pro to the FF just before serving .

Last edited:
What are you feeding.  The highest protein I can get in layers is 18%. 

I can get grower at 24%.  I do have the Dels on a 20% grower since there are young ones in the coop.  I put the entire coop on 20% grower when there are babies in the flock. 

I'm using a custom blended feed. It's 19% protein.

I gather it isn't just the protein percentage that's relevant, it's the type of protein where soy protein isn't adequate for good growth and fertility. The blend we designed is fortified with nutrients specific to breeding and growth and uses fishmeal for the protein concentrate. It is also soy-free, canola-free, and corn-free. Oh, and that makes it GMO-free.

We also ferment the feed. I've read claims that fermenting the feed can lead to more female chicks.

The breeding pen also gets scrambled eggs every day or they refuse to eat. I sometimes also supplement with other nutrient-rich stuff.

Edited to add: the feed is lower in calcium so I can use it for chicks, too. Calcium is available on the side.

Last edited:

If you are interested in fermenting let me give you a site that can answer any questions. I feed out of a v shaped wooden trough but you can buy a rain gutter and cut it in half and have two 5' long ones.

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Last edited:
We made two types of PVC feeders.

One type are troughs. We cut them open on the top side of the curve to help reduce the waste of beaking the feed out, and left handles. We left the ends open. We set them in cement blocks. They work great for wet feed. And if we put them in the lower opening of the bricks they work for young birds. I LURVE the handles.

We also made hopper feeders which work great for pellets.

Last edited:
I'm using a custom blended feed. It's 19% protein.

I gather it isn't just the protein percentage that's relevant, it's the type of protein where soy protein isn't adequate for good growth and fertility. The blend we designed is fortified with nutrients specific to breeding and growth and uses fishmeal for the protein concentrate. It is also soy-free, canola-free, and corn-free. Oh, and that makes it GMO-free.

We also ferment the feed. I've read claims that fermenting the feed can lead to more female chicks.

The breeding pen also gets scrambled eggs every day or they refuse to eat. I sometimes also supplement with other nutrient-rich stuff.

Edited to add: the feed is lower in calcium so I can use it for chicks, too. Calcium is available on the side.
I've heard this also. But I read something the other day that interested me. The more nutritious the feed the hens lay more pullets.. Less nutritious is more cockerels. The author said that the hen knows what she is eating and if her nutrition is low she knows that the cockerels can live on less whereas the pullets will not. Amazing, right

I've heard this also.  But I read something the other day that interested me.    The more nutritious the feed the hens lay more pullets..  Less nutritious is more cockerels.   The author said that the hen knows what she is eating and if her nutrition is low she knows that the cockerels can live on less whereas the pullets will not.   Amazing, right  

I recently read that somewhere, too. ;)

I wouldn't believe everything you read especially if it is about chickens. Male female ratios are 50 percent.

Walt
Well thats the average I got 65% Male one time and 60% female the next - its back and forth so I guess that averages close to 50%- My starters from kathy out of 14 was 5 hens and balance Cocks.
Thats 64% - But your mileage may differ . I have not hatched enough to get a good average.

Thats interesting - I feed Southern states "Rock n Rooster " Pellets - they are 18% and always in feeder - supplement 1 heaping tablespoon of two day fermented whole oat/wheat with a smidgen of cracked corn - oyster shells on the side - all the table/kitchen scraps go out there also - Cockerels get added
some Calf Mana Pro from 14 weeks to cull - extra last two weeks.
Also bugs and clover as everybody free ranges after 14 weeks

Considering I've got 12 cockerels right now and with the 13 in the incubator and another doz coming next month, I'm going to be overrun with them. Even with 50/50 ratio that's still going to be another 12. I'm ordering velcro as we speak, to try and shut them up a little
lau.gif
Glad to hear about the Calf Manna Pro. That's just over a month away before I start giving it. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom