Delawares from kathyinmo

I was noticing that, too. It took so much work to get some green pastures it is very gratifying to see the birds enjoying them. Like happy little lambs.

Seeing as you're already getting eggs, I expect visible results in a countable number of days.

them pullet eggs aren't mature enough for hatching yet- and I have not figured where I'm going to put the chicks from feather to the stage not be able to get thru Enet- last year back porch of barn but have reused that area.
I was noticing that, too. It took so much work to get some green pastures it is very gratifying to see the birds enjoying them. Like happy little lambs.

Yes pretty - wow is that a six foot fence or eight - maybe photo illusion but it looks tall

them pullet eggs aren't mature enough for hatching yet- and I have not figured where I'm going to put the chicks from feather to the stage not be able to get thru Enet- last year back porch of barn but have reused that area.

Yes pretty - wow is that a six foot fence or eight - maybe photo illusion but it looks tall

It's taller than I am, but I can reach over it. I'd say 6'. Still didn't keep out the 3 point deer this fall. So of course the neighbor shot him. What is it about some men that makes them in such a rush to kill anything special?

Our laying flock of hatchery birds has no trouble escaping our fences. We kept making the fences taller. Finally gave up and took the gates off, then moved the fence line way back ... mostly to keep Gust around when I go into the coops. If he can smell fruit on the wind he goes to find it. Did I mention we and the neighbors grow fruit trees and have vineyards? Just too much temptation. And Gust is SO spoiled.

The Delawares? They only think they can fly. That fence is probably overkill for them.

I processed 4 Delaware cockerels yesterday and to be honest I'm a little disappointed with their weights. These boys were 7 months old. Processed weights were 3.1lbs, 4.24lbs, 4.03lbs, and 4.2lbs. I did have a feed issue this year but I also processed a Cuckoo Marans cockerel that weighed 5.25lbs. and he was just a couple weeks older than the Delawares. Any thoughts here?

I processed 4 Delaware cockerels yesterday and to be honest I'm a little disappointed with their weights.  These boys were 7 months old. Processed weights were 3.1lbs, 4.24lbs, 4.03lbs, and 4.2lbs.    I did have a feed issue this year but I also processed a Cuckoo Marans cockerel that weighed 5.25lbs. and he was just a couple weeks older than the Delawares.  Any thoughts here?

Do you know what were their live weights?

Do you mind sharing what were your feed problems?

My pullets seem small, but my cockerels are okay ... currently just over 7 months, all eating the same rations.

We got an egg in the Delaware coop today. The size (44g) and location (floor by water fountain) suggests pullet. We also have the 2 hens in there. :weee

I don't but that's not very good weights for a 7 month old bird. Again, it could have been a feed problem.

I have 2 cockerels left that I can weigh. I kept them b/c they were a little bigger/heavier than these others.

I processed mid November but mine were younger - I think I posted weights - I will check and if not will post-
I processed earlier than the F4s

Back
Top Bottom