Delawares from kathyinmo

Its more for informational purposes. I wanted to take a larger sampling of their stock. I wanted to know how their boys turn out too and since I don't have one id just get a lot of straight run and just see how they are. Ill process the extras for meat and or add them to a layer flock as they are good layers.
if u have h
Its more for informational purposes. I wanted to take a larger sampling of their stock. I wanted to know how their boys turn out too and since I don't have one id just get a lot of straight run and just see how they are. Ill process the extras for meat and or add them to a layer flock as they are good layers.
Good luck caycris. I don't want hatchery chickens the only difference i see is colors between dual purpose chickens.I'll pe patient and get the best I can find.hopefully something good
1f602.png

yes i've seen that thread thanks. And yes I will need to get well informed. It will be nice to have this breed to try to get it to standard while at the same time use the culls to eat. I love that Idea.!

I need to find the SOP and read up on it. Talked to the landlord today and she says "I don't care what you do as long as you take care of the house." YAY! I'm not going to lie, I will probably order some hatchery Delawares to start with (not for breeding). Just to have them around and play match the bird with the SOP. I know this is probably going to come across wrong but I learn faults faster when I see them against the SOP then when I have birds close to the SOP that have faults.... does that make sense? I need to learn to think better lmao

I need to find the SOP and read up on it. Talked to the landlord today and she says "I don't care what you do as long as you take care of the house." YAY! I'm not going to lie, I will probably order some hatchery Delawares to start with (not for breeding). Just to have them around and play match the bird with the SOP. I know this is probably going to come across wrong but I learn faults faster when I see them against the SOP then when I have birds close to the SOP that have faults.... does that make sense? I need to learn to think better lmao
Makes complete sense to me. From what I understand every bird will have faults and only a small percentage of birds will actually every achieve SOP (It is Standard of Perfection after all)

If you do get hatchery birds let me know which one you get them from.

Not to me.! Lol but as longest make sense to you its ok. Do not worry about other people think about you they should worry about what you think about them. Lol. Good luck with your chicks you will enjoy them.!

Not to me.! Lol but as longest make sense to you its ok. Do not worry about other people think about you they should worry about what you think about them. Lol. Good luck with your chicks you will enjoy them.!
I understand it somewhat because I have both birds now. Without the comparison I wouldn't have been able to tell the differences even between that Kathy birds I have. Some of the faults are so pronounced in the hatchery stock that it helps me better identify the smaller variances in the better birds. It has taken me several months of looking at them side by side to start to notice more subtle differences in the Kathy birds. Also by having an extreme version of what is wrong helps me know what to look for in birds that are less wrong. The SOP sometimes can be vague as to what is meant by long,deep,wide etc and without a lot of birds judged as examples we can often have difficulty seeing this on our own.

Being able to handle birds with obvious flaws in comparison could have the effect of making you think that your good birds are better than they are but it should be kept in mind that you are using this as a base line starting point to evaluate your best birds in each area and that is easier to do for someone just learning if you can see the drastic difference between production birds and birds bred to SOP.

I understand it somewhat because I have both birds now. Without the comparison I wouldn't have been able to tell the differences even between that Kathy birds I have. Some of the faults are so pronounced in the hatchery stock that it helps me better identify the smaller variances in the better birds. It has taken me several months of looking at them side by side to start to notice more subtle differences in the Kathy birds. Also by having an extreme version of what is wrong helps me know what to look for in  birds that are less wrong. The SOP sometimes can be vague as to what is meant by long,deep,wide etc and without a lot of birds judged as examples we can often have difficulty seeing this on our own.

Being able to handle birds with obvious flaws in comparison could have the effect of making you think that your good birds are better than they are but it should be kept in mind that you are using this as a base line starting point to evaluate your best birds in each area and that is easier to do for someone just learning if you can see the drastic difference between production birds and birds bred to SOP.
Everyone have to do what they think is best, we all learn things different and there's nothing wrong with that. If i get ask for an opinion I will say it, doesn't mean is the right thing but to me it is.

Everyone have to do what they think is best, we all learn things different and there's nothing wrong with that. If i get ask for an opinion I will say it, doesn't mean is the right thing but to me it is.
Not trying to argue with you I completely agree just giving insight. I appreciate yours.

My family lives in Vancouver, BC and we make the drive once or more per year and often they make a drive down to see us. If you are interested, the next time it looks like there may be transportation, maybe Leslie or I can get you some Kathy line chicks or eggs. Just let me know, you really are not that far from us. I drove to Tacoma to pick up some BCM hatching eggs years back :)

I would certainly like to be on the list to get Kathy's line, as well. I am willing to travel anywhere in the western states. I missed getting some earlier this year. Looks like there's 2 breeders in Or & now 2 in NorCal that have her line. This SOP program sounds like fun and a real challenge. My new coop & run will be finished this weekend if everything goes as planed. All I need is the chickens.

My family lives in Vancouver, BC and we make the drive once or more per year and often they make a drive down to see us. If you are interested, the next time it looks like there may be transportation, maybe Leslie or I can get you some Kathy line chicks or eggs. Just let me know, you really are not that far from us. I drove to Tacoma to pick up some BCM hatching eggs years back :)

That would be amazing if you could. I looked up ordinances where I'm located and I can have six and no roosters. If this trade goes through we are getting some barred rock, EE and Sussex but I don't think I will end up keeping them long term.

To be honest the past couple days have been really rough on me. I would love to have some of Kathys birds but I don't know how long I'm going to be here. If I end up staying here for a few years, I'll miss out on breeding them because I have no rooster. It's just frustrating, and depressing.

Back
Top Bottom