Delawares from kathyinmo

I am hatching and am getting a bunch of chicks with black smut on their back. I know these are pure. What the heck is this??

I haven't seen a bird without extra black in my flock. I even got several birds with brown feathers. I thought that was the "color problems" we were all having.

But ... you buried the lead: Your HATCHING!!! That's awesome!

Last edited:
These chicks are shipping out today - to a friend in Nebraska.  I just can not figure why I am seeing smut on the chicks! Remember - I lost my best cocks to a predator. I do not really have a lot of hope for these (as breeders). . . . .  We will see!

Ahhhh! Tiny fresh chicks. Yeah! That's different! Mine are all little buff balls.

I'm really glad you're hatching and sharing some chicks. Even if you lost your top cocks.

It is what it is, and I think it's great you're working with the line again.

Last edited:
These chicks are shipping out today - to a friend in Nebraska. I just can not figure why I am seeing smut on the chicks! Remember - I lost my best cocks to a predator. I do not really have a lot of hope for these (as breeders). . . . . We will see!
Is this smut in the down?

I am hatching and am getting a bunch of chicks with black smut on their back. I know these are pure. What the heck is this??

I don't know - you have the expert asking us ?
It seems to come in random strings .
Is it the same parings you were breeding before and did not get the smut-
You are calling smut the black ticking where it is not supposed to be ?
Edit
Whoops - didn't see your previous post -- electrons must have past in space LOL

Last edited:
These chicks are shipping out today - to a friend in Nebraska. I just can not figure why I am seeing smut on the chicks! Remember - I lost my best cocks to a predator. I do not really have a lot of hope for these (as breeders). . . . . We will see!

I think some one need s to send you a Mr Fatty ?
Help get you rolling again.

I have three of the hens from two yrs ago and lost the rooster. This yr. I hatched from Kathys flock 15 chicks. They are about 4 wks old , sooo I am not counting myself as a breeder. I hope next season when they lay to pick the best ones I have and breed them .I would like to breed them or help someone to get them someday also. My pleasure would be to give people these pretty birds.
.Who knows with my age and often health problems what will happen. Ps I am better than I have been in many months. I am on insulin and it seems most of the problems I was having are going away one by one. I hate the insulin but when it comes to me being more active and loving life it is my life saver. The pills were just not doing it as I aged.
It's nice to hear good news from you. I hope things continue to improve.

My F5 males all had extra barring on their back. Half the females did not. I culled all the hens with too much black and gray undercolor. I have a F6 pullet (I think) with no smut but gray undercolor. These birds are just full of surprises.

But ... you buried the lead: Your HATCHING!!! That's awesome!

X2!
woot.gif

To Jeremy?

Back
Top Bottom