Delilah and Big Bird, Breed Guess?

Jenjee

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2017
FB_IMG_1503552192300.jpg
20170823_222302.png
We just got our first 2 hens from my dad's (now ex) girlfriend who has a farm and has many interesting varieties of chickens. She dropped them off very unexpectedly and I was so flustered as we weren't entirely ready I didn't even ask the breed! Well, long story short I'd rather not bother her now and wondering if anyone has an idea?

They are very docile and very much want out of their coop and run but we're not quite ready yet. We named them Delilah and Big Bird (Big Bird was not my idea). They have reddish eyes and grey legs. They are molting and were getting picked on so they're a little raggedy looking! I asked for birds that maybe aren't laying anymore and they'd just be pets. One has almost a greenish sheen on its feathers like a mallard duck. Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks and I'm excited to learn everything about chicken keeping. It's been fun so far and I'm really enjoying petting them and finding out their food preferences. :)

View attachment 1119670 View attachment 1119671 We just got our first 2 hens from my dad's (now ex) girlfriend who has a farm and has many interesting varieties of chickens. She dropped them off very unexpectedly and I was so flustered as we weren't entirely ready I didn't even ask the breed! Well, long story short I'd rather not bother her now and wondering if anyone has an idea?

They are very docile and very much want out of their coop and run but we're not quite ready yet. We named them Delilah and Big Bird (Big Bird was not my idea). They have reddish eyes and grey legs. They are molting and were getting picked on so they're a little raggedy looking! I asked for birds that maybe aren't laying anymore and they'd just be pets. One has almost a greenish sheen on its feathers like a mallard duck. Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks and I'm excited to learn everything about chicken keeping. It's been fun so far and I'm really enjoying petting them and finding out their food preferences. :)
Mottled Java. Speckled Sussex have a brown background color, these have a black background color if my eyes don't deceive me.

Thanks, everyone! They are mostly black, though the pic does look brownish. I am looking at the pictures and breed and although my girls are a little, er, bedraggled now, they certainly do look like Mottled Javas! My only question about them that I have not been able to find much info on, is whether or not they are flighty. I read a post from someone here saying they were flighty, but with their larger breast and body size I'm wondering whether or not they can free range in my yard with a 6 foot fence after a few weeks and what people's experience with them has been flight-wise. If I should always keep their wings clipped or if it is unnecessary after this first adjustment period. I did ask that to my Dad's ex when she dropped them off and she just said "oh, they'll be fine."

Mottled Javas. They will have trouble clearing a 6 foot fence unless the should get spooked by something. You can clip wings to be sure, but not necessary in my opinion.

Mottled Javas. They will have trouble clearing a 6 foot fence unless the should get spooked by something. You can clip wings to be sure, but not necessary in my opinion.

Excellent! Thank you. They are quite easy to corral already. They know what the shaking sound of the mealworm bag is and come running. Very mellow birds. In no time at all they were used to the the dog hanging around outside their coop and even will walk up to him and greet him through the wire. Big Bird is more shy, but Delilah will even let you pick her up. They are exactly what I was looking for, so far. I can't wait to see how they look once their feathers grow back.

Back
Top Bottom