Deluxe Apartment in the Woods - Chicken Coop

A few weeks ago, I shared my surprise and disbelief at the cost estimate for my new chicken coop. It was almost $2000 for a 10x6x8 open front coop. I received a lot of feedback and most of you thought the cost was on target, especially with the high prices of lumber today. I ultimately decided to go with a company out of NC, ChickenPartner.com who prefabricated the coop and assembled it onsite.

Let me say that I think I made an excellent decision. The final cost was about $2200 for an 8x15 coop and run. That included an extra cost for adding the floor and $100 for delivery. The owner, Stan, recently bought a saw mill so his lumber prices have remained steady. Also, he delivers across the East Coast and judging from this process, I can see why the demand is so great. It took about an hour and 15/30 minutes. It took a little longer since I added a floor. I was very impressed with this process and the product. He has it down to a science. He left my home in SC and was going to FL to make his next delivery.

Take a look at my video for an overview of the assembly, as well as a final tour. I call this: Deluxe Apartment in the Woods (a reference to The Jefferson's because my chicken are "moving on up!"

Here is a link to my first coop that I augmented. Here is the video. I appreciate your feedback and comments.

Hello I was so delighted to read your post !
I’m moving to North Myrtle Beach area in a few week to a place with land and wondering what the best type of coop for the high heat and humidity I noticed your coop had a lot of open air space .
I think it was worth it with the run I wonder if poop boards could be added under the roost but I really like the design thanks for sharing Frank

Hello I was so delighted to read your post !
I’m moving to North Myrtle Beach area in a few week to a place with land and wondering what the best type of coop for the high heat and humidity I noticed your coop had a lot of open air space .
I think it was worth it with the run I wonder if poop boards could be added under the roost but I really like the design thanks for sharing Frank
Hello Frank. Thanks so much for responding. My home is NMB so I know the area well. This coop is perfect for that area. Yes, I’m sure poop boards can be added but I suggest adding the floor to the coop (not run) like I did and using hemp as the base. Doing that was the BEST decision I could have made. There is NO… let me repeat… NO odor. I don’t have to clean poop, shovel sh*t or anything else. I bought a tiny rake from TSC and just stir the bedding every once in a while. In fact, I just finished doing that and it was so simple. I was on vacation for more than a week and when I came back, it was completely dry and odor free. Once’s year, I will clean it out completely and sell the manure/compost.
I use it in all my coops. I used to use pet bedding and it had a strong ammonia odor. Not this. So to answer your question, yes you can add a poop board, but I say skip it and use chopped hemp. I got mine from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom