Demanding hen

mommissan

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Adirondacks
My red star hen started laying Monday morning and like clockwork has laid a perfect brown egg each morning since (okay, only 3 eggs but anyway). This morning she sat on her nest box (her favorite is the right hand side with a hot pink plastic Easter egg in it) and quietly did her business. When she was done, she stomped out of the coop and started clucking loudly, loudest she's ever been. Stomping about, "bok bok bok bok BUCKAWK!!!". So I go to the nest box and get her egg, now she's quiet. Do chickens ask to have the eggs removed?

She's doing the 'Egg Song'!! She is announcing her pride in laying an beautiful egg and wants to be sure EVERYONE knows it!!

Congrats!

That would be the "egg song". The best way I know how to describe it is, You'd cackle too if you laid an egg.

And if you have more than one hen, typically more than one will chime in to celebrate the arrival of the egg.

Ah-ha! That's what happened! My white hen started cackling with her. The girls were crazy with delight this morning.
D.gif

Yep. Sounds perfectly normal.

I have a compost bin in my girls run. It's about three feet off the ground and they use it as a stage. I'll catch all three of them up there just singing and cackling away. They get quiet if I go outside and up to the gate. But I can spy on them through the window out of the garage and it's hilarious to watch. I just hope my neighbors think so too.

I always thought that the egg song was what they did BEFORE they laid an egg. That's so cute how they all sing along after the egg's laid. I can't wait to hear them again!

Quote:
I learn more and more everyday by coming to this site. My ladies are all starting to lay right now, I have 16 and so far we are up to 10 eggs a day, with a bulk increase on Saturday and Sunday. The ladies were going nutz and we had no idea why - now I know!!

Back
Top Bottom