Dented egg day 17

Pics
I wondered where you went! You’re the one who named Twister I think 😊 How did your bantam hatch go?
It was a catastrophe actually. The power went out Sunday night - some drunk driver hit a power pole a little ways down. I woke up around 630 and tried to turn on the coffee machine only to learn there was no power. It took me a few minutes before I realized what was happen it and started sprinting to the shop to the incubator. It was out for about 8.5 hours and only one was strong enough to make it and he had to be helped out 😭 we had 7 others in various stages of pipping/hatching

Very strong little guy and fortunately the little feed store down the road had just hatched some buff orpington chicks so we could get him a companion. He is super tiny. Golden seabright/frizzle mix. The BO hatched Thursday and the size difference is hilarious.

(Yes, as you can see we put a stuffed animal chicken in the brooder when there are only a few 😂. I always thought it was silly - a wife thing - until you see them snuggling it)

Attachments

• 6BD44523-1A28-4BA3-826A-6320C05EC8CE.jpeg
    6BD44523-1A28-4BA3-826A-6320C05EC8CE.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 17
It was a catastrophe actually. The power went out Sunday night - some drunk driver hit a power pole a little ways down. I woke up around 630 and tried to turn on the coffee machine only to learn there was no power. It took me a few minutes before I realized what was happen it and started sprinting to the shop to the incubator. It was out for about 8.5 hours and only one was strong enough to make it and he had to be helped out 😭 we had 7 others in various stages of pipping/hatching

Very strong little guy and fortunately the little feed store down the road had just hatched some buff orpington chicks so we could get him a companion. He is super tiny. Golden seabright/frizzle mix. The BO hatched Thursday and the size difference is hilarious.

(Yes, as you can see we put a stuffed animal chicken in the brooder when there are only a few 😂. I always thought it was silly - a wife thing - until you see them snuggling it)
Oh my goodness! They almost made it like mine 😭 It’s so much more heartbreaking than you’d think it would be. I know you’re not supposed to, but I literally candled my babies every night up to lockdown. I was so excited to meet them. It makes me so sad that they suffocated in the shell over the high humidity. They almost made it too.

Any ideas on names for my blue chick?

Attachments

• IMG_3299.jpeg
    IMG_3299.jpeg
    602.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3300.jpeg
    IMG_3300.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    616.9 KB · Views: 14
My sons and I (all 5 of them, under 12) have recently been jamming to some old 90's/early 2000's songs that used to play at my high school dances 😂

I asked the 8 year old ( our naming champion) and he suggests naming it "Eiffel" after the band that sings that song "I'm blue dab a dee da da"

Thought it was pretty clever.

My sons and I (all 5 of them, under 12) have recently been jamming to some old 90's/early 2000's songs that used to play at my high school dances 😂

I asked the 8 year old ( our naming champion) and he suggests naming it "Eiffel" after the band that sings that song "I'm blue dab a dee da da"

Thought it was pretty clever.
Oh my goodness, that’s so cute

Since someone suggested a name inspired by music, here's my thoughts:
"(Blue) Moon", by the Marcels
"(Blue) Bayou", by Linda Ronstadt
"(Blue)" Velvet, by Lana Del Rey
Willie - (Nelson) for "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain"
Bobby or Bobbie - for Bobby Vinton's "Blue on Blue"

And this one, just random:
Chip (as in Blue Chip Stock)

Reading your thread. What an emotional roller coaster hatching is! (I've never hatched). I'm so sorry about the poor ones that didn't make it. Sooo glad for the ones that did! Looking at the little blue chick, Agate came to mind. Could be Agatha. But Agate, as in blue agate, and I learned there really is a blue agate crystal, also called blue lace agate. So I googled it:

"Blue lace agate is an extremely soothing stone, and according to Askinosie, it's a great one to reach for when you're feeling stressed out or overwhelmed. "It helps to self-soothe, improve mood, and return to a state of calm," "

Doing good! I need a name for the Blue Laced Gold Wyandotte mix. Twister is the only one that got clean legs. The other two got the marans legs. So cute! I named the first one born, Uno. The pin feathers kind of resemble a boy, but I’m not sure. I’m not about to vent sex them after all they’ve been through. I’ll just wait it out.
Twister looks great! And that full crop means she is eating!

Unless it’s a silkie I go by the presence of tail feathers and wing feathers at birth. Females will have tail feathers and two different lengths of primary feathers on their wings ( most of the time, though).

I am doing DNA gender testing on three silkies I am raising for a friend on my broodies, I want to keep a Roo - watch they will all be hens haha!

I have a Polish/Silkie cross that we are all saying is a pullet bit until she lays an egg I am not saying anything 😊

Oh no that’s terrible, so sorry to hear this; but very glad that you were able to get a friend for the sole survivor - and yes the size difference is very funny.

Back
Top Bottom