Denver: Help join effort to change laws allowing chickens

I am a Denver resident, about 7 days away from the end of my 30-day complaint period, after which I may finally be granted my permit. Whew. I actually *should* have received my permit today, but my Zoning case manager got sick and was out for a week the day after I dropped off my paperwork. He called a week later to let me know the process would be delayed (this is after I had already followed his instructions and posted the sign on my house).

Just a couple of additions to UrbanSustainability's post:

- There are actually *2* visits to Animal Control required. The first comes when you deliver your initial application letter. I suppose this visit is optional - you could just mail your letter to them. However, I think there's a big difference in processing time for folks that hand deliver vs. folks who mail it in.

Anyway, after your 30-day complaint period is over and you receive the approval from zoning, you're required to go *back* to Animal Control, because they're the people who actually issue the livestock permit.

- There are 2 different signs that Zoning makes you post on your house. The first is during the first 10 days of your 30-day complaint period. If you get through those 30 days without any problems, then you can go to Zoning to get approval from them. At that time they give you a second sign that has to be posted on your house for (I believe) 15 days. This is the sign that gives instructions for anyone who wants to appeal the decision that granted you your permit.

- Also, don't forget that Zoning may make you get a permit for the construction of your coop. Zoning told me that you're required to get a building permit for any structure that's more than 12 inches above the group. That led to a spirited discussion about doghouses, and are people really supposed to get permits if they want to build a doghouse? (According to my Zoning case manager, yes- they're supposed to get a permit; and no - nobody does) I chose not to get a permit for my chicken coop, because that process is separate from the animal permitting process. However, I have a friend who's getting chickens and did apply for a building permit, and there was an additional fee for that. I believe it was $20, but I'm not sure.

I agree that we need to devise a plan to get this embarrassingly difficult process changed. I'm hoping we can use both the City's (supposedly) "green" reputation and the economic downturn to our advantage. The city of Denver funds a number of green projects. Why not take a little of that money to subsidize the permitting process for urban livestock? Also, it is ridiculous to charge $150 (with a $70 renewel) for permitting. Added to the cost of coop building and maintenance, buying chicks, feed, etc - it's pretty much impossible to eat that many eggs, therefore the project is financially unviable. With the amount of struggling some families are doing, it should be *cheaper* to feed ourselves at home - not more expensive.

-Sundari
www.eatwhereUlive.com

I looked up the laws for Colorado Springs. It would be great if we could use them as a model for Denver.

http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/CO/Colorado Springs/index.htm

The chicken stuff is in Article 7, sections:

It looks like you can keep up to 10 hen chickens (no roosters). You can also keep goats - yay! - with no restrictions other than the basic caveats about noise, sanitation, etc.

-Sundari

Yeah, the Springs is quite reasonable about critters. I live in El Paso County, so I have even less regulation to deal with.

Last edited:
Thank you Sundari for the update information. I have added it to the CPA website for info. Also thanks for the link to CO SP's zoning, I also added this to the website.

I just joined this group today, after being invited to a backyard chicken meeting by a friend. I met the writer of the original message at today's meeting, and I would like to help him revise the Denver ordinance. Does anyone have any idea where I can find the actual Denver ordinance? Please help me out, OK? It does look as if the Colorado Springs ordinance is something Denver should be looking at.

I also wanted to add the comment that I so loved your reply, Wifezilla! That is hilarious! Keep them coming!

I am wondering if the Botanical Gardens could be helpful in any way for Denver residents. I know they offer classes on how to get started with and care for backyard chickens in Denver.

Today was a great meeting and, although I live in unincorporated Jeffco and the only restriction is that the coop can't be larger than 600 sq. ft. here, I would like to help Denver residents change their law. It's absolutely ridiculous as it is!

James - I look forward to the info you'll be sending out.

Kelly

I live in Denver and would love to help in some capacity. Sign me up
smile.png

Very dissapointed with so many websites out their claiming Denver has a simple, straightforward process in place, and hearing now that we have to go through so many hurdles. Thank you so much for telling it how it really is. I'm debating right now if I should go through this process myself now, wait until the law is changed, or go with another option all together. In any event, we need to change this.

Regards,
Mark

I'm thrilled to see how many Denver area people are or want to be involved in chickens. Denver is one of the smartest areas of the country though... ya know?
lol.png

I am writing my initial letter to the division of animal control this evening (so I can get my pre-approval letter) and had a question or 2 for anyone that has already gone through this process. I don't want to answer any of their questions incorrectly.

1) They pose the question, "Indicate where they dispose of excrement"

The real answer is: "I will compost it in my compost pile and use it on my garden." (or something like that) Are they expecting to hear about some elaborate poop disposal unit that flash ashifies and ships poop out to pluto or something?

Composting would be an acceptable answer you guys think?
idunno.gif

It kind of sounds like based on the questions they are asking that a lot of people get their permit after the fact. Almost sounds like a set up... How could someone answer the question "List of vaccinations animal has received " when said animal hasn't been born yet? and definitely isn't in my basement brooder right now
smile.png
I was planning on saying the truth here, that I plan on feeding my chicks medicated starter feed for cocci but do not have any plans to vaccinate at all, but this got me thinking, maybe they want to see immunization's/vaccinations, etc? Has anyone just said, no vaccinations? I think I might be overly concerned about my specific responses to their questions, but if anyone has received approval already, I'd like to know how they answered these questions.

Thanks.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom