Depressed Chicken???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kitkat2498, Aug 14, 2011.

1. kitkat2498

kitkat2498 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    I have a chicken (Georgia) whose been acting very strange.Shes always had an attitude,but lately shes been...quiet.She stays inside the coop in a corner.I haven't seen her come out much,I'm not sure how much water and food shes been getting.I tried to get her out,but she fluffs herself up and makes this mean cooing noise.And when I touched her,she bit me and hissed at me.I put the other chicken in front of her,and she got really mad.I managed to get her out once,and she stayed out for a while,then went back inside.Is there something wrong with her?Or is she just depressed?Or maybe shes just being moody....

Extra Info:
    Rhode Island Red/Rhode Island Red Bantam
    Nine months old
    She started laying at 6-7 months old.Has been laying ever since.

2. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    She could be broody . . .

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    sounds broody to me too

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I agree - sounds like the typical broody behavior I've read about on this site.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes typical broody PMS, she may go broody and then again maybe not since this is her first yr. Just give her her space, she won't like the other hens around so if she can be seperated do it and then just watch her. If she breaks put her back with the others.

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Sounds like the broody behavior I see with mine. Take her out of the nest, corner, or wherever she is hunkered down and try to move her out of the coop. There are lots of threads here about broody behavior, how to handle it.

Good luck.
    [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You have a broody hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by