Depressed Chicken???

kitkat2498

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
I have a chicken (Georgia) whose been acting very strange.Shes always had an attitude,but lately shes been...quiet.She stays inside the coop in a corner.I haven't seen her come out much,I'm not sure how much water and food shes been getting.I tried to get her out,but she fluffs herself up and makes this mean cooing noise.And when I touched her,she bit me and hissed at me.I put the other chicken in front of her,and she got really mad.I managed to get her out once,and she stayed out for a while,then went back inside.Is there something wrong with her?Or is she just depressed?Or maybe shes just being moody....

Extra Info:
Rhode Island Red/Rhode Island Red Bantam
Nine months old
She started laying at 6-7 months old.Has been laying ever since.

Yes typical broody PMS, she may go broody and then again maybe not since this is her first yr. Just give her her space, she won't like the other hens around so if she can be seperated do it and then just watch her. If she breaks put her back with the others.

Sounds like the broody behavior I see with mine. Take her out of the nest, corner, or wherever she is hunkered down and try to move her out of the coop. There are lots of threads here about broody behavior, how to handle it.

Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom