Depressed Hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by court23, Mar 14, 2016.

1. court23

court23 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Hey everyone!! I have chickens, ducks, and quail !! I currently have a hen that is acting very strange. She will not get off the porch. She has poop on her bottom because her poop is very runny. I felt for a bound egg and I didn't feel one. She stands on the porch with her tail feathers drooping. Her comb is bright red. When I annoy her she picks her tail up like normal. We haven't lost any birds lately. She sometimes stand with one foot knuckled over but she walks fine and there does not appear to be anything wrong with the foot. I fed her some meal worms and she ate those. I think* her poop is greenish but not 100% sure that it is hers .. As I have other birds

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice ! Thanks !!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you have an under the weather hen :hugs Have you wormed her lately? Could you get a pic of the poop? Please do pop by the emergency injury disease cure section of the forum, I'm sure members there will be able to help you. Here is the link - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    Give as much detail as you can as in how old, when she last laid an egg what breed what she is fed. The more you can give the better it helps other members to help you and your hen.

Wishing you the very best of luck, I hope she is well agian soon :fl

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Yorkshire coop has given you some good advice. I hope the experts over on the emergency forum can help you get her back to good health.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope when you come back on line you can follow up on the suggestions given to you.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  6. court23

court23 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Hi - No i have not made her mad. She is quite docile and friendly. Last night I felt her crop and i DID feel stuff in it. It felt gritty. So I gave her some water with coconut oil and massaged it. She honestly seemed to enjoy the massaging. I saw a video of how you can make them empty their crop (throw up basically) - have you ever hear of this?
    I gave her the coconut oil and water last night and this morning it was still full.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] I agree with the advice about posting in the Emergency section, best of luck to you.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by