Depression after a death?

Fluffets324

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
My chicken Libby seems quite depressed and not herself after we lost Tilly chicken. She does tend to keep to herself more and has a more "chill" personality, so she will often just sit with our 9 year old chicken and watch everything go by, but since we lost Tilly she stares through our gate (possibly looking for her?) quite often, seems off her food and keeps hiding in the plants. She also seems to want a lot of my attention (cuddles and stuff). She isn't showing signs of illness (no throwing up, standing with ruffled feathers etc). She will sometimes be more motivated and interact with the flock though. Is this more likely to be depression than illness?

Chickens can suffer depression after a stress event. This does affect their health. Additional nutrients would help. Poultry Nutri-drench is a very good supplement to give for a few days. Increase protein and carbs for a few days, as well, to get her through this.

You make a very faint hint that she has other chickens and is not alone. If that is not correct, a couple of baby chicks would give her a sense of other chickens in her life and would help her state of well being.

Chickens can suffer depression after a stress event. This does affect their health. Additional nutrients would help. Poultry Nutri-drench is a very good supplement to give for a few days. Increase protein and carbs for a few days, as well, to get her through this.

You make a very faint hint that she has other chickens and is not alone. If that is not correct, a couple of baby chicks would give her a sense of other chickens in her life and would help her state of well being.
Thankyou! Yeah we have 4 more chickens with her :)

My chicken Libby seems quite depressed and not herself after we lost Tilly chicken. She does tend to keep to herself more and has a more "chill" personality, so she will often just sit with our 9 year old chicken and watch everything go by, but since we lost Tilly she stares through our gate (possibly looking for her?) quite often, seems off her food and keeps hiding in the plants. She also seems to want a lot of my attention (cuddles and stuff). She isn't showing signs of illness (no throwing up, standing with ruffled feathers etc). She will sometimes be more motivated and interact with the flock though. Is this more likely to be depression than illness?
I have a similar problem, although I don't have any advice on how to deal with it. We just lost 2 girls at the top of the flock, and now the remaining 4 stopped laying (they are all between 1 and 2 years old and had been very productive) They look healthy, and seem to be getting along fine with each other, but they are quieter than normal and don't lay. Will they eventually start laying again or could this be permanent? We probably can't add to our flock until next Spring.

I think we may have the same issue with depressed chickens after one died. Our top hen died and the other 4 are so lamey and quiet now. They eat and drink and we have them on vitamins but they just hide inside their enclosure and only come out to the run every now and then and then race back inside like something is scaring them, but cant see anything out of the ordinary. I hung some cds over their run thinking maybe the other birds are bothering them and their top chick isnt around to protect them.
Only the older bantam is laying. The sister of the one that died stopped laying since, and its been nearly 2 weeks. The two young ones are 18mo and haven't started yet.

I think we may have the same issue with depressed chickens after one died. Our top hen died and the other 4 are so lamey and quiet now. They eat and drink and we have them on vitamins but they just hide inside their enclosure and only come out to the run every now and then and then race back inside like something is scaring them, but cant see anything out of the ordinary. I hung some cds over their run thinking maybe the other birds are bothering them and their top chick isnt around to protect them.
Only the older bantam is laying. The sister of the one that died stopped laying since, and its been nearly 2 weeks. The two young ones are 18mo and haven't started yet.
Welcome to BYC.
You might want to start a new thread of your own, to get advise tailored to your situation. Also, hop on over to the new member section and introduce yourself, so that we can give you a proper welcome. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom