depression and poultry

chirkey

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 21, 2013
NZ
Hey all

I'm new to this and was hoping to get anyones thoughts or opinions. I'm 25 and live in new zealand, I have horrid depression, low self esteem and when I can muster the courage to face the day, I'm usually faced with migraines or some kind of anoying illness. Im on the verge of losing my job (which I love) and home life ain't so great with all this either. I have chickens, turkeys, ducks and chihuahuas (not to mention a husband and 2 step kids) that should make me happy right? But I cannot shake my depression. I'm on meds and doing everything I can. Is there a hobby that someone can suggest or something that someone has gone through to make themselves feel better or change how they feel?

Any suggestions help but I am already seeing a psych.

IMO you should probably work on the self esteem thing first.
That would help the depression. When the depression is relieved, that helps you face the day.
The illnesses could be from the stress of depression.
The illnesses and migraines could be something else too.
I don't know how or what you eat but try to eliminate any mood altering things like caffeine, sugar, alcohol.
Also eliminate artificial things that can make you feel bad including migraines. #1 thing to eliminate is artificial sweeteners, (no diet soda or anything in a package that purports to be lo-cal, lite, low-fat, etc.). Eliminate artificial flavors, colors, etc..
Low fat and low cal are lies. Humans are omnivores and we need real fat, animal protein, fruits, vegetables, water and nothing else.

Pick something that you like, chickens for instance, research that thing to the point that you are a virtual expert. That will help your self esteem.
Art is another thing that helps self esteem. Find something that not many people can do, like stone sculpture or a musical instrument, and practice that.

That's just my suggestion. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
IMO you should probably work on the self esteem thing first.
That would help the depression. When the depression is relieved, that helps you face the day.
The illnesses could be from the stress of depression.
The illnesses and migraines could be something else too.
I don't know how or what you eat but try to eliminate any mood altering things like caffeine, sugar, alcohol.
Also eliminate artificial things that can make you feel bad including migraines. #1 thing to eliminate is artificial sweeteners, (no diet soda or anything in a package that purports to be lo-cal, lite, low-fat, etc.). Eliminate artificial flavors, colors, etc..
Low fat and low cal are lies. Humans are omnivores and we need real fat, animal protein, fruits, vegetables, water and nothing else.

Pick something that you like, chickens for instance, research that thing to the point that you are a virtual expert. That will help your self esteem.

That's just my suggestion. I hope this helps.

Hey there.

I've thought diet coke was making me feel funny but didn't think it would actually be a factor. Thanks so much!

The human body has no idea what to do with things like aspartame so it just goes nuts.
Stick to real food and your mind and body will thank you.
Real food either grew ON a plant or ate a plant.
Real food isn't made IN a plant(factory or lab)

Last edited:
If someone threw that name at me id have no idea what to do with it either! Haha

Yes but have you tried mac n cheese from a packet with extra cheese with buttered bread? I'm glad I don't live in texas, aparantly everything is bigger In texas lol by the way what are ho hos??

I don't know, I've never had them. I think they are some type of packaged sweet snack treat. Therefor not food.

I have tried mac n cheese, tastes good but I know I shouldn't eat it. First of all it isn't real cheese. It tastes good because of the artificial flavors.
I do eat mac n cheese occasionally but made from scratch with real cheese and without the yellow dye #6.

Have you ever tried a breakfast of strawberries, pineapple, banana, kiwi, mango and a fresh egg omelet with mushrooms, onions, tomato and pepper instead of pop tarts?

The brain works like the body. It needs nutrients to function properly. Chemical imbalance happens without proper nutrition.

Eventually you may be able to kick all the meds.

Last edited:
We don't really get pop tarts here. A better diet sounds all well and good but it is so expensive here. I guess a vege garden is in order! Thanks for your help I also.suffer from social anxiety so its hard to get out. I'm not a massive person but could lose a few pounds. Thanks again!!

If I eat too much sugar I get headaches. Food is very likely at least one of your problems. I eat things I shouldn't and I pay for it right away. Don't think you have to live on vegetables. Make sure you are getting enough of all the elements you are supposed to have. Just start a campaign to work on your health. Focus on yourself. Pay attention to what you eat and how you feel afterwards. Be honest with yourself about what is making you unhappy. Don't feel guilty about how you feel. I sound like a psychiatrist but I'm just old and have been studying human nature for a long time.

Yes but have you tried mac n cheese from a packet with extra cheese with buttered bread? I'm glad I don't live in texas, aparantly everything is bigger In texas lol by the way what are ho hos??
Ho hos are made by the same company that makes Twinkies. I don't eat stuff like that but I think it's either cake or marshmallow with chocolate over it.

Back
Top Bottom