Depression Era Quilt Block Swap----- Sign-up now CLOSED

I was going to size up when I cut the next set because it turned out short. Is it preferable to do a totally random grab from the scrap bin as the pattern suggested or is a color family like my test piece ok?

For everyone that is making these blocks....you will need at least 16 light colors and 16 dark colors to make the block look right. I know some are making a practice blocks with only a few colors, and that is fine, but for the blocks that will be used in the swap.....please use all different colors so that the blocks will have the scrappy depression look.

Here is a block that I made using 32 different colors (16 light and 16 dark) I will say that the cutting of all the fabric needs to be done first. This (the cutting) will definately take a while.

8369_depression_block_001.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Please try to get at least 16 light and 16 dark color scraps.......Your test piece looks great, but we are going for the scrappy depression look, so the random grabbing is just fine. Remember to use the chart in the block link for color placement.

Last edited:
Quote:
I found this so far the only thing you need to change is the 3 & 7/8 to 4 inches. It starts with.......... Next speed piece the half squares The second picture it says and sew here sew here.

If you don't understand it PM me and I'll keep looking.

http://www.quilterscache.com/N/1930sSquareBlock.html

OMGoodness I tried this and it only took me 50 minutes to cut and do 12 squares.
ya.gif
It was sew easy to do and I have my first little squares done. As a matter of fact I did two squares in an hour and a half. Acre's is doing her total block one at a time. I'm doing the individual 3 and 1/2 inch blocks at a time.

Boy I hope I'm not messing anyone up by what I'm saying.
th.gif

Quote:
Thanks you for the suggestion ginbart but ...an hour a block
ep.gif
- That means if I am as quick as you, it will take me 12 hours to do this swap. Yeesh, I could do 2 (or 8 little ones) of the other kind in that time. I also just dont have that many scraps left-. I'm sorry I just dont have the time right now and I have a huge pile of projects in varying stages of getting finished that need addressed. I really am bummed and want to join - just not this time.
sad.png
I will keep checking this thread and poke in once in a while.

Quote:
Thanks you for the suggestion ginbart but ...an hour a block
ep.gif
- That means if I am as quick as you, it will take me 12 hours to do this swap. Yeesh, I could do 2 (or 8 little ones) of the other kind in that time. I also just dont have that many scraps left-. I'm sorry I just dont have the time right now and I have a huge pile of projects in varying stages of getting finished that need addressed. I really am bummed and want to join - just not this time.
sad.png
I will keep checking this thread and poke in once in a while.

Just because your not joining doen't mean you can still chat, so do check in every so often.....we may be doing another swap before CHRISTmas, not sure what, but it will be super easy!!!

O.K. ALL YOU QUILTING LADIES!!!!!! We have only 2 spots left!!!!! And just to give you another taste.....here is my second block, already!!!!!

8369_depression_block_002.jpg

Once all your fabric is cut (do this first) then mark you lins for sewing (do this second) then cut the blocks between the seams (do this third) then sew them into one big block (do this last) it doesnt' take that much time at all.

Quote:
What a beautiful block! I can't wait to wash my fabric and get started. I bought a new blade for my rotary cutter so I am good to go
smile.png

Quote:
What a beautiful block! I can't wait to wash my fabric and get started. I bought a new blade for my rotary cutter so I am good to go
smile.png

I know, my blade is getting a big time work-out today. I already have 4 blocks completed and enough for 2 more to just be sewn together and enough for 2 more to be marked and pieced together. WOOHOO!!! I will be done by Monday afternoon at this pace (I am not working on them tomorrow). I have so many crafts/sewing things to do ....I need to get done.

Back
Top Bottom