Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

I have a crooked toed hen. Both feet. I have made her a special roost since she can not roost like the other chickens, but its her roost and heck no, she won't share with not one but Vanilla, except Vanilla prefers to roost on top of the cat carrier come nest box. LOL. I named her Criptoe... LOL. I know, very creative. She lays an egg every day, runs like the other birds and can be one mean rear broad when them roosters come near her. She does NOT let them mount her at all. LOL. She's my only "V" hen. HAHAHA

I have a crooked toed hen. Both feet. I have made her a special roost since she can not roost like the other chickens, but its her roost and heck no, she won't share with not one but Vanilla, except Vanilla prefers to roost on top of the cat carrier come nest box. LOL. I named her Criptoe... LOL. I know, very creative. She lays an egg every day, runs like the other birds and can be one mean rear broad when them roosters come near her. She does NOT let them mount her at all. LOL. She's my only "V" hen. HAHAHA
Mines called curly toe. I should of tried to fix her toes when she hatched but didn't. She layed the first egg from the flock. She can get on the roost no problem. I've hatched some eggs from the flock & no crooked toes. I think there was to much heat while in the bator. Both feet here to. She's fine just has crooked toes I saw no need to kill her because of that & am glad I didn't.

If it were heat, you would have had more chicks with problems from the get go.
Learn something new everyday. I guess that means I only hatched one egg from that chicken. At the time I only had ten hens & put 48 eggs in the bator & if I remember right I hatched 30 chicks & 14 were cockerels. But your right there was only one with crooked toes. I have since hatched again from all the above but with a different Roo & got no crooked toes.

Oh, I am sorry! I hated when both of mine died... They are just so lovely...
I hope you find a few hens. You can not just have one... Like pringles...
I just had a giggle. :) I just hatched out three babies, and the nest box in the bunny hutch was a pringles box...
gig.gif

I just found out about this thread the whole nine yards. You shoudl of used this picture for the calander.This chickens got it going on. I have a crooked toes hen that I should of fixed & everyone told me to cull her. Did I heck no.

I think Derp should have her own calendar! Derp and friends! I'm sure Fud Lady will be getting right on that!
roll.png
lol.png

I just had a giggle. :) I just hatched out three babies, and the nest box in the bunny hutch was a pringles box...
gig.gif

Congratulations on your new chips! ........ er,um chicks.
big_smile.png

I wish I knew. I suspect it is either genetic or a nutritional deficiency in the hen that laid the eggs. The health of the hen carries on to the eggs she lays, of course, and it's something that we often overlook when we get weird chicks. If you have more than one bird with this problem, and you know the breeder, it may be wise that the hen (and or roo!!) not be bred anymore if it's throwing a lot of twisted chicks. Though Derp cracks us up, I would never try to intentionally get a 'derpy' result. We should all strive to breed healthy chickens. :)
Thank you for the response. I am in no way breeding anything here. We got chickens to have backyard eggs. We are also highly amused by them, which is a great bonus. :) These chicks were from a feed store, which I believe got them from Ideal Hatchery. Not totally sure though.

One thing I am learning from all my reading here is that chicken genetics are very strange and crazy things.

Learn something new everyday. I guess that means I only hatched one egg from that chicken. At the time I only had ten hens & put 48 eggs in the bator & if I remember right I hatched 30 chicks & 14 were cockerels. But your right there was only one with crooked toes. I have since hatched again from all the above but with a different Roo & got no crooked toes.
Well you could have hatched more than just one of her eggs. It was just that one egg was lacking on that day...

Back
Top Bottom