Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Nambroth, Aug 27, 2011.

1. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

I am sorry you lost your girl, :( :hugs I bet there is a SF out there somewhere with your name ion it! :yesss:

2. thechickenwhisperer24

thechickenwhisperer24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    I really hope so, thank you so much. If anybody has any ideas, please check the thread in my signature.

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Oh, I am sorry! I hated when both of mine died... They are just so lovely...
    I hope you find a few hens. You can not just have one... Like pringles...

4. silver1313

silver1313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    It took me a few months then I saw an ad on here and jumped right on it !!! My 6 babies are so awesome .. none derpy that i have noticed per se but so sweet and well behaved !!

5. Just reebok

Just reebok Chillin' With My Peeps

Day old chick shipping out from My Pet Chicken. I am getting one SF, one Australorp, one Red Star, and fingers crossed... A silver laced Wyandotte. If the candling goes well that is.

6. ChirpyChick

ChirpyChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    near Hudson, New York
    I don't have any SF yet, but I do have a pair of Buff Orps and a pair of Welsummer hens...and a Welsummer Roo. My Roo? HE'S the talkative one in my flock. Always talking to someone, some chick or someTHING...yesterday...he was talking to a stump. Yep, an honest to goodness stump. I just give him a pet and a piece of bread and say "Silly Tim"

Daisy, one of my wellie hens...she honks like Derp! Especially when she has a cricket or a grasshopper. She gets the Honka-honka-honka going on while she's chasing them through the yard. Lots of giggling going on then. Until Mama catches us being giggly. Then she fixes you with one of those chicken-glares about how totally improper giggling is. Her name is actually Aunt Pittypat and she acts it quite often. However, Aunt Pittypat has a bit of the Derpy skull twist thingy going on. I think the only thing it affects is how she runs...because she runs rather...off center? cattywompus? crooked even? She just does...and then there's more giggling and more chicken-glares [​IMG]

Oh well...for some reason I felt like sharing that :)

Missing Derp...and I hope Fud Lady doesn't stress out too much...:) We'll just sit and stare at things until she comes back.

~jr

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

My SF Loralie has been an evil thing that last few days. Evil to my chickenstock babies. That would be the SF cockerels I got. I think it is because she knows they are in her future, well one will be, and the other will be with Beulah. I think she is whipping them into shape and establishing she is boss for as long as she can be. LOL

8. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I wish I knew. I suspect it is either genetic or a nutritional deficiency in the hen that laid the eggs. The health of the hen carries on to the eggs she lays, of course, and it's something that we often overlook when we get weird chicks. If you have more than one bird with this problem, and you know the breeder, it may be wise that the hen (and or roo!!) not be bred anymore if it's throwing a lot of twisted chicks. Though Derp cracks us up, I would never try to intentionally get a 'derpy' result. We should all strive to breed healthy chickens. :)

9. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I've responded too, in case it helps. Coho had a secondary infection but we were able to take care of it. It was the entire side of her foot! It was scary, but keeping a cool head can help. :) She is completely healed now. It can be done!

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I just found out about this thread the whole nine yards. You shoudl of used this picture for the calander.This chickens got it going on. I have a crooked toes hen that I should of fixed & everyone told me to cull her. Did I heck no.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by