Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Sorry to hear the sad news about Coho. I used a spot on treatment last year for treating lice when I had a bad outbreak. The one I used is called Xeno but I don't know if it's available in the US. It was expensive but using DE wasn't getting on top of the problem. Wild birds mix with my flock all the time so I guess they bring the problem in.

From what I have read and researched, DE isn't worth the money. Here in France I use a dusting powder called Rhodeo (based on pyrethrin and geraniol extracts), and it works amazingly well on lice.

I know that Nambroth did everything she could for Coho, but in the end there is nothing you can do against Marek's . It is impossible to prevent contact between wild birds and a domestic flock, no matter how hard you try.

Quote: i have done alot of DE research- away from the fact it is unregulated and any claim can be made and is unsubstantiated- i am not popular with pro-DE folks- - the CDC considers it toxic, i have a file going on details if you are interested- i have a friend that is a vet tech and they were taught to be effective against fleas it would have to layer it a couple inches thick wall to wall- anyway... i use ivomec pour on

I have quite a few losses lately and breaks my heart to hear of Coho,but she lived the life of a princess and couldn't ask for a better home to live in

I'm so sorry to hear about sweet Coho. That makes me so sad. I have loved keeping up with this thread since I first found it in 2013 and it's so sad to hear that one of your original Salmon Favorelles has passed. Rest in peace sweetie.
hugs.gif

I wanted to let you all know that the mite situation is, so far, either eliminated or reduced to the point that I can't find mites anymore. I will continue to monitor things closely. All of the chickens are fine, though the rooster does seem to miss Coho. He has a bit of frostbite as we had the coldest February on record and had sustained temperatures of -10°F to -30°F (still air temps) for weeks and even with careful care his points of his comb got it. No one else had frostbite. I suspect it's because of how big he is and how he sits, that he sometimes has reduced circulation to his comb. However, given that we are now well past the ONE YEAR mark since I thought he was dying with Marek's (Feb 2014 was when he had complete paralysis) and he is happy and healthy, I can't complain! The frostbite doesn't seem to bother him. I will keep an eye on it and aid him in healing.

Derperella is doing well and is very spunky. I think she knows spring is coming.
Chickadee is very, very spunky and bored with winter. She took it upon herself to peel all of the interior paint off the coop. Thanks, Chickadee. (more on that story later)
Moa is huge. She is rumply. Please pet her keel.
Mildred is very big and dumpy and sweet and very much a cochin.
Willow is slowly balding again, thanks to the unkind attention of Lorp. At this point there isn't much I can do except hope spring comes soon and plan on making a bigger coop. Pinless peepers don't stop Lorp and her diet isn't lacking.
Lorp continues to be evil. And beautiful. Don't touch her.

I hope you all can forgive me as I'm even more quiet/absent that usual as I am dealing with a death in my immediate (human) family. I'll be back with more photos and stories as soon as I can.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread for a while but haven't posted in forever. I'm so sorry about Coho and your family. Take your time and just recover from your troubles. However, I'm glad to hear the rest of your flock is doing well! Good luck with your rooster's frostbite. Hopefully spring is just around the corner...

Wow. . I havent' been here in a while. So sorry to hear about Coho, and now the death in the family. I too am hoping that spring comes soon. We don't have paint for our birds to peck off the walls, but we have one Black sex link who insists upon climbing them... LITERALLY. Crazy bird.

Last edited:
Oh, Nambroth! I'm so sorry to hear about the (human) death in your family! And dear Coho! *hugs you*

I lost my (Coho and Derp inspired) darling Faverolles, Bay, just a few weeks ago. Your mention of "Marek's eyes" makes me think it might have been involved in our case despite my flock being immunised. One of Bay's eyes pinned about a year ago - the pupil seemed fixed at a pin point. I pointed it out to our vet at a recent visit, but he wasn't concerned about it.
hmm.png
And now I've noticed Trini, my silverlaced wyandotte, has something creeping inwards in her right eye. This is worrying.
sad.png

We had a mite infestation as Bay went downhill as well! Horrible, unbearable! I was covered in bites! (as were most of the family!) Pure tea-tree or eucalyptus oil was the only relief and deterrent I could find that worked. (on me!) One morning I was sitting, waiting at the Dentist, looking at my phone, and I saw one run across the backlit screen of my phone! The size of a full-stop on the screen! I managed to crush it with the back of my nail, but then spent the rest of my time with the dentist in silent mortification at the thought of accidentally passing them on to her!

I LOVED your post about Derp and Moa! You have such a gift with words!! <3

Sorry for your loss Nambroth - we all understand that you don't have so much time for updates at the moment. We will try to be patient, but you don't make it easy - a story about Chickadee peeling the paint off your walls just has to be worth reading! Now you've told us, it's going to be so hard to wait for it!

All the best to you and your flock - fingers crossed that spring is coming soon!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom