Designing a Coop in a Cave

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nevergiveup, Feb 19, 2014.

1. nevergiveup

nevergiveup Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Hi, I'm new to chickens and new to the forum. We live in the cave dwellers area of Andalucia, Spain. With our windy winters and searingly hot summers we thought a cave for the chickens would be great to protect them. It will be re-enforced with concrete blocks and joists so it will be structurally sound, BUT if there is any reason anyone can think of that I shouldn't do it that way, i.e. ventilation, please let me know. Also if anyone out there has done it before or knows of a someone who has done it before, I would love some tips. Thanks !

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ventilation would be my concern. It does seem like there should be a way to get around it, though. Perhaps simply a fan that sucks air out., across the ceiling, maybe. Both huidity and ammonia do need a way out, somehow.

This article on ventilation is sort of a classic here. It was written by a Canadian a few years ago. Maybe it will somehow be helpful -- if you already found it, just excuse me!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

3. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Aren't caves notorious for having around 95-100% humidity?

4. nevergiveup

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for that info. I think I will leave a large double door opening in the front protected with a wire fence for the summer and make an insulated panel with a smaller ventilation opening to install in the cold, windy winters.

5. nevergiveup

Feb 19, 2014
    Not the kind of cave you're imagining. Google caves in Spain if you're curious ! Thanks though !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by