Phoenixmum

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2019
I have a trio of Phoenix chickens. They are very happy and healthy. I am getting an egg a day (neither of my hens are clucky) so I have been incubating their eggs.. but no success at all. I’m really losing hope.
I have incubated Isa brown x eggs before with a high hatch rate but havnt had a single egg hatch of almost 10 eggs now.

The eggs seem to develop beautifully in the first 2 weeks. In the stretch where I have candled (day 16-18) I have found most have died. Have a blood ring ect.
Also.. there seems to be a large white space under the developed chicken.
I have had 2 that I have tried to set into the Hatcher but neither hatched by day 25 and then when candling them it’s clear they have died.
I have one in the Hatcher now that’s on day 21 (humidity sitting consistently between 65 and 75) with no signs of pipping.

And 6 in the incubator. (Humidity between 45 and 55) both temperatures sitting on 37.5 •c
I am so deflated and worn out. This egg marks the 10th. All others have been lost in the last week.
I can post candling photos of each stage... maybe that will help explain the huge white area on the bottom (not the air sack)
But has anyone at all had experience with Phoenix egg incubation? Is there something I should be doing? Or not doing? Is there a genetic fault to the breed?

What are you feeding? I doubt this is the only reason, but it may be a contributing factor: most game-type breeds need more protein than, say, an ISA. I suspect it's much the same for a chicken with as much plumage as a Phoenix has. I supplement B and E vitamins for my breeders too, especially the game bantams (who do a lot of free-ranging.)

As for the white mass, please post pictures. @Pyxis may know what they are.

. I do a mix of grower, layer, shell grit, fruit/veg. So perhaps I should look into vitamin supliments.
I have a batch in the incubator at the moment which I will candle and take progressive photos of.
There is one egg now on day 22 in the Hatcher with no sign of popping ect. I’ll give it another 4 days

This egg is on day 23. As you can see there is the air sac and vains.. but also a large space still to be filled on the bottom.
I’m genuinely at a loss for what is happening? Is it deAd is it alive?
I realise I shouldn’t candle during this time. But I have 6 other eggs that are not yet in the Hatcher which I would like to get right if i am doing anything wrong.
I was very very quick with doing this and it is now back in the Hatcher.
Please help

Attachments

• AA3ACAC2-DABE-43CA-89D0-2D851D38A61A.png
    AA3ACAC2-DABE-43CA-89D0-2D851D38A61A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 3380D4D8-B003-488A-98A1-87830D41046A.png
    3380D4D8-B003-488A-98A1-87830D41046A.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
This egg is on day 23. As you can see there is the air sac and vains.. but also a large space still to be filled on the bottom.
I realise I shouldn’t candle during this time. But I have 6 other eggs that are not yet in the Hatcher which I would like to get right if i am doing anything wrong.
Please help

That egg has died at some point, so it never developed to fully fill up the egg.

I would wonder if humidity is the cause. It may be too high. I would try weighing the eggs to track moisture loss to get the humidity nailed down, and either solve the problem or at least get humidity eliminated as the problem.

I'd also consider putting them on a high protein feed, such as Naturewise Meat Bird, and maybe also a supplement like Rooster Booster in their water.

Please help
That egg has died at some point, so it never developed to fully fill up the egg.

I would wonder if humidity is the cause. It may be too high. I would try weighing the eggs to track moisture loss to get the humidity nailed down, and either solve the problem or at least get humidity eliminated as the problem.

I'd also consider putting them on a high protein feed, such as Naturewise Meat Bird, and maybe also a supplement like Rooster Booster in their water.

Thank you, that is a great suggestion. I have been monitoring humidity very closely with the new batch but could very well have been a factor with this egg.
Th am you so much for replying

I think people overdo it with humidity and cause more harm than good. I was able to hatch mine's at 40% humidity throughout just fine. Perhaps try lowering your humidity next time and see how that works out?

Back
Top Bottom