Desperately seeking opinion about breed and gender of my 3 1/2 wk old chicks...

Breed and sex? Greatly appreciated!

• Male

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Female

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alyssaclaiber

Songster
Jan 7, 2020
Hello! I’m new to this, so I’m not sure about the gender and breed of my 3.5 wk old chicks that my broody hen hatched. I ordered the eggs online. Thank you so very much!! Aly
2F0EAE08-C2DC-4A51-8525-3EE1FC59A19B.jpeg
F08FBE6B-9E0F-4271-8114-794A8002AD74.jpeg
B1F476B9-3531-4214-B01D-E719D1D2D772.jpeg
9C1B1970-9E02-47E1-9B28-AB0E1CC4BFD7.jpeg
E3D983BF-8E97-4B79-9C24-9F1291C29ACF.jpeg
8641309C-56E7-4838-8D7C-C846B6B7430E.jpeg
C0ECEE56-1F19-4DEE-BC8D-A12925BE9009.jpeg
CC5A7B2B-5206-4CE0-9306-5F971404D495.png
09E8FB2B-9FCF-49FB-9354-E34E79F6F258.jpeg
02D51B44-92B3-455E-BF1E-F27921881971.jpeg
AE5AB75E-3343-44D7-8CF9-493460E69418.jpeg

Hello! I’m new to this, so I’m not sure about the gender and breed of my 3.5 wk old chicks that my broody hen hatched. I ordered the eggs online.

When you ordered the eggs, did it say what breed or set of breeds they might be? There are so many breeds they "could" be, I don't even know where to start guessing!

How many chicks are there? I see at least three different colors of chicks, but I cannot tell how many photos are other views of the same chicks, and how many are photos of different chicks.

For gender guesses:
first picture, dark chick is likely male. Same photo, the one with a dark spot on a light head, and a dark spot/stripe by the eye, is probably female (but could be a breed with a smaller comb type, in which case I have no guess on its gender, and might be wrong on the others as well.)

fifth picture, likely a male (photo is a close up of a chick with light down, no eye stripe, feathers a light-medium brown. Camera was turned at an angle for that photo.)

When you ordered the eggs, did it say what breed or set of breeds they might be? There are so many breeds they "could" be, I don't even know where to start guessing!

How many chicks are there? I see at least three different colors of chicks, but I cannot tell how many photos are other views of the same chicks, and how many are photos of different chicks.

For gender guesses:
first picture, dark chick is likely male. Same photo, the one with a dark spot on a light head, and a dark spot/stripe by the eye, is probably female (but could be a breed with a smaller comb type, in which case I have no guess on its gender, and might be wrong on the others as well.)

fifth picture, likely a male (photo is a close up of a chick with light down, no eye stripe, feathers a light-medium brown. Camera was turned at an angle for that photo.)
Thank you! I’m really hoping the little black one is a female, but I’ll keep either.

I have 4 chicks. Two chicks have the chipmunk pattern, one black with the medium yellow “hat’, and the buff color little one thst looks and acts like a roo...

Welcome to BYC:frow:welcome
I don't understand how I even had chickens before I joined
So much knowledge, advice , caring people and just plain fun here
It really to young to tell by looks or behavior. Maybe a better guess at 6-7 weeks and best guess probably 12 + weeks
Never 100% till an egg or a crow comes but usually 10-12 weeks is when you get your best signs start showing. Beautiful chicks though. Make sure to share as they progress!

For gender guesses:

These are also my guesses.

Welcome to BYC:frow:welcome
I don't understand how I even had chickens before I joined
So much knowledge, advice , caring people and just plain fun here
It really to young to tell by looks or behavior. Maybe a better guess at 6-7 weeks and best guess probably 12 + weeks
Never 100% till an egg or a crow comes but usually 10-12 weeks is when you get your best signs start showing. Beautiful chicks though. Make sure to share as they progress!
I will!! Thank you so much!! Chicken people seem to be a rare breed!!

Back
Top Bottom