Desperatly Need Help- Lash Egg Stuck to Vent

Well, what I'm thinking/best guess is there is material (Lash?) wrapped or stuck inside the shell gland, etc. And what you are pulling out is that (her insides). She's still pooping, but the intestines connect at the vent.

Does that make any sense at all?

Now how to fix it, I surely don't know!

yes that does make sense. Just not sure what to do either lol

I'm also at a loss of what else to try. Since we cannot see what's going on inside it makes it hard to know for sure what it is. Lash material can vary in size and scope greatly, some birds entire oviduct is just filled with it and there is no way it can pass. It sometimes has egg material mixed in with it, like malformed shells. One of your original pictures made me suspicious that it might also be tissue, which is why I didn't suggest trying to remove it by pulling gently. I would not want to do more damage. If she were mine I think I might take a wait and see approach for a little longer, if she seems happy and comfortable, eating and drinking and pooping, in the hopes that it might pass. But if she starts to go down hill, then I would probably end it rather than let her suffer. If you decide to wait, I would still try to keep it moist. Below is a picture of the reproductive system, which may help, as you can see if the entire oviduct is filled with the material there is no way it can all be passed, and you can see where the shell gland is, which may be the issue as suggested.
View attachment 2117213

the diagram is very helpful! Thanks! Do you think she’d be ok with the others? I feel horrible keeping her in a crate but it’s also darker in there so she won’t lay.

Went to put her to bed and put more meds and she’s prolapsed. She won’t let me touch it without a fight. I tried to push it in twice and it won’t stay in.

Attachments

• 72DDAC23-B7C1-4F4D-B0FF-893B6B195FAF.jpeg
    72DDAC23-B7C1-4F4D-B0FF-893B6B195FAF.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 27
  • 7B0925B3-6C4F-4EDC-932B-A6B98DF3BB4C.jpeg
    7B0925B3-6C4F-4EDC-932B-A6B98DF3BB4C.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 25
Went to put her to bed and put more meds and she’s prolapsed. She won’t let me touch it without a fight. I tried to push it in twice and it won’t stay in.
With her having that "material" inside, the prolapse may not stay in. I would keep any exposed tissue moist with ointment so it does not dry out you don't want the tissue to become hard and necrotic.

Her fighting you, I would say it hurts. I'm still not sure how to proceed with that - does it feel like the material is still balled up inside the prolapsed tissue or do you think you can see a way to remove it?

A tiny piece came off, maybe 1/4 but not much at all. It looks like it’s stuck to the red bit of prolapse if it’s inside that it’s hard to tell. I didn’t have help with her tonight since I thought it was just creak, some treats and bedtime.
I tried to put cream on it but it really wouldn’t stay well. I put it on as best I can, it’s still really moist at least. Tomorrow I can try honey, tonight I used prep h hoping that would help any swelling and discomfort. I feel so bad for her. She’s one of my fav personalities of my flock.

A tiny piece came off, maybe 1/4 but not much at all. It looks like it’s stuck to the red bit of prolapse if it’s inside that it’s hard to tell. I didn’t have help with her tonight since I thought it was just creak, some treats and bedtime.
I tried to put cream on it but it really wouldn’t stay well. I put it on as best I can, it’s still really moist at least. Tomorrow I can try honey, tonight I used prep h hoping that would help any swelling and discomfort. I feel so bad for her. She’s one of my fav personalities of my flock.
You're doing the best you can :hugs

Honey is good to use as well. I've found with some ointments like Prep H you almost have to let them "melt" in the hand, then apply to get them to slather on.
I hope she is improved by morning.

She’s worse today. The prolapse is larger than yesterday. Twice as big. I tried and it won’t go in. Put honey on it and had to leave. I’ll check her when I get home but overnight it just got worse. I have never had a prolapse so not sure what’s considered bad but I think this is bad. I’m at loss :(

Some prolapses can be worse than others. The concern with this one is that if she's trying to pass lash material then it may just continue to happen and it may just keep getting worse. If it won't go in with some pressure, then the pressure from inside may be too much. Often they will pop out repeatedly before they start to stay in, but if what is causing the prolapse is still trying to get out, then it's not going to stay in. Usually once whatever is causing the stress is expelled, then the prolapse has a chance to recover. You can also use veterycin spray to keep it moist, sometimes the spray goes on better than an ointment. This is going to be a judgement call on your part, how much you want to keep trying. I think you have been doing everything you possibly can for her, and if she doesn't get better it will not have been your fault. This is the unfortunate part of chicken keeping, sometimes when things go wrong we can't always fix them no matter how much we try. And it always seems to happen to a favorite bird. :hitI'm so sorry. :hugs

It’s gotten worse since this morning and she wouldn’t take meal worms :( she’s still clucking and her comb is red but it’s huge
I don’t know if this is recoverable? I couldn’t even begin to push this back in.

Attachments

• 51555387-14B8-42DE-819B-A7D45B030696.jpeg
    51555387-14B8-42DE-819B-A7D45B030696.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 5A9535E9-56C1-4E97-859C-1AB489834E5B.jpeg
    5A9535E9-56C1-4E97-859C-1AB489834E5B.jpeg
    566.4 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom