destruction and disposal orders HELP

It's fortunate/unfortunate that BYC members end up being the most educated of any thing involving chickens.
I have learned more in 6 months on BYC than I had on my own in 6 years raising my chickens. You even taught me how to make my demon polish rooster quit attacking me
thumbsup.gif

[/LIST]
G’Day John

Thank you for the most recent video; I so enjoy listening and watching you interact with your flock of “babies”.  Your geese are adorable! 

Yes, it is hilarious thinking they can understand us!! However, crows can reconize people by their face & will tells the others, "here cone that person to scare us away from the treats!!" they are problem solvers as well!! Quite amazing.. ||||||=====|||||

Hang it there, you are doing so well.  Nil Desperandum Ilegitimi Carborundum
Hard to do sometimes.. But knowing God is in ultimate control is such a freeing feeling!!

These feathered babies of ours have a way of bringing out the sensitive side in people.  If I told hubby 3 years ago that one day he would be referred to as “Dad” when I was talking to a chicken I am sure he would have had me committed.  But not only is he “Dad” he also has his own favourite chicken, often referred to by me as “your chicken” when she is misbehaving ;)

You are funny, :lau. Ditto

Tee hee MCHLMRTN I like you already also ;)

:goodpost:

X2!! @MCHLMRTN I bet you will have a high self essteem from all these compliments today?!!
What does MCHLMRN abbreviation mean?

Ooppsss, above remarks were not hi lighted :idunno

Last edited:
Of course, it was just a strange shaped car with ICS in big white letters on the side.
wink.png
Maybe they found E.T.?

thank you
i believe (not 100% on this) that WE can test our own birds (simple dna testing will show if we lie) for pollurum ... it may take two people to do, but hopefully most of can find someone....as i near the 4th, i will be looking into this with GREAT INTEREST... what will be really nice is if we could run the bloodwork ourselves in ADDITION to their tests(everyone feels a little better about it... it really can't be that difficult... in my early 20's, i worked at a vet's office for a few months (had to leave, they had LITTLE MORALS), and i was reading blood and fecal samples within hours simple s#@T (PUN intended).....

working with koi over the years, i routinely ran slime coat samples in search of parasites (for the most part, they're either there or they're not)...

and while i hate to do it, bleach footbaths (i don't know how yet) will become routine here as well...(which sucks because i know the looks i'm about to start receiving...)

my point being with a cheap microscope and test strips (etc).. we could become our own best ally...

wild birds will ALWAYS be there... and they're an easy scapegoat for anyone who doesn't WANT to do things right...in the last few months before i left LI, one of the more affluent neighborhoods had 40+ healthy swans put down because they were a 'nuisance' leaving a single pair to repopulate... wanna talk politics?? i wonder who knew who w/ that one... (on my last trip up there i saw a pond of swans (8+) knowing there were eggs in nests and i was SOOOOOOOO tempted to save what eggs i could, but i didn't fearing legal retribution --- i really wish i would've grabbed some

i'm drifting again lol...
I just want your showgirls...lol I'm dying to find me a couple....lol

[/LIST]
goodpost.gif

X2!! @MCHLMRTN I bet you will have a high self essteem from all these compliments today?!!
What does MCHLMRN abbreviation mean?

Ooppsss, above remarks were not hi lighted
idunno.gif
So, I'm guessing on this one: Michael Martin my second guess Michelle Martin lol

From the bottom of that GA story...

"As of Tuesday afternoon, 47,091,293 birds have been destroyed due to confirmed or suspected outbreaks."

Holy moly! And that was 2 days ago!

Have been reading but not posting, so I will add my thanks to John for bringing this to light for so many of us. Not just the awareness, but the actual devastation that it can cause... devastation in so many forms. Ugh.

The AI outbreak has been ongoing since December. It is not a new news story. They have been reporting it sporadically and now that egg prices are going up it is becoming more of a hot topic.It has certainly been well discussed in all poultry circles. The USDA has published every outbreak. Most states are requiring some increased surveillance for AI prior to importing eggs or birds- which usually means a recent AI test ( 72 hrs-7days depending on the state). It behooves every poultry person to apprise and educate themselves to these changing rules. It behooves producers and sellers to follow these rules as well. Ohio has banned all import of eggs or poultry from states with infections- period. Does not matter if that infection was 500 miles away from where you want to buy eggs from. This should tell you something- it is serious and it is unpredictable in its course. To date there are 223 farms infected in the United states. They are not completely sure of the transmission- but it can be carried on the surface of eggs, the packaging material or even the box itself- so just because the eggs test negative, that is not a 100% guarantee. If your flock becomes infected, it could be days before you know, so you walk in and take care of your birds, get some feces on your shoes. No big deal right? Now you decide you need some feed so you go to the local feed store. Some of that poop falls off your shoes, and a farmer walks through it- he goes back to his farm and goes to check on his birds, now carrying AI laced feces with him. Maybe he has 10 birds, maybe he has a million layers. His farm is now infected. So now Georgia or Alabama or wherever now has a confirmed case of AI. No big deal right? Well it is reported to all the other countries that we have trade agreements with that this state has a reported case of High path avian influenza. Most countries, japan, China, The Uk etc will now ban all poultry products from that state, and not for the 21 days it takes to lift the quarantine- it will be months. It will cost the state of Georgia or Alabama or Louisiana- or wherever, millions in clean up, testing and quarantining on top of the economic losses to those companies that cannot export their products. So who cares if the government has a huge bill- we pay taxes right? Behind every poultry farm is a family- maybe they work for a corporation, or maybe they are one of the last hold outs- trying to just survive as an american farmer- they have just lost a good majority of their income. This is not some over dramatic representation of the situation- this is what has been happening all over the Midwest since April. The economic losses from exports alone is over $5 billion dollars. $5 BILLION. Let that sink in for a minute.
48,091,293 birds have been affected.
Let that sink in. Behind everyone of those birds is a farmer or a backyard flock owner. I feel for every person that loses a bird to this terrible disease and I dread the fall when migration begins south and those on the east coast start seeing cases. But if you buy eggs or birds from a state that has had infections- then you better be willing to accept the consequences. If you live in a state that has had infections- then stop selling, don't wait to be told to do it, just do the ethical and moral thing and worry more about your neighbor than your pocket book. This is not about the government stepping on your civil liberties- this is about trying to stop an epidemic, to save your back yard flock as much as the big egg producer. This is about trying to prevent the next world pandemic- this strain is a mix of the strain that has been causing deaths in China. These viruses mutate and mingle and change all the time and they are one mutation away from infecting people at any given moment- think that is a stretch? Well all workers and clean up crews at the infected farms are being advised to take Tamiflu, a flu prevention drug. This is not a joke, this is not it will never happen to me,this is a disaster for the poultry industry.

Oh my......the horror continues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am starting to regret ever joining NPIP...with NPIP they know exactly how many birds I have, where I live, where I have shipped.................at least my flocks are closed.
But if I had not joined NPIP, they wouldn't know I existed here !

I am so ready to padlock my gate & not answer my phone !

:oops:  
[COLOR=B22222]Seriously, if someone within so many MILES of me bought eggs/chicks/birds from a facility that tested positive, they could just come & kill off all my poultry even though they are testing negative !! Just as they did to these people, just as they tried to do to Johnskoi !!!!![/COLOR]

*stomach drops*
Omg. . . it's here! :((

I wasn't ever too thrilled about npip, I think it would be nice to be able to trust people to do the right thing. Unfortunately, some people don't care or don't know enough to do the right thing. So organizations like npip are good for that. Unfortunately people who don't care about doing the right thing won't be joining npip. Those who do join, were probably conscientious enough that they didn't need to.

This is all very unnerving.

Paranoid?
If wearing a tin foil hat to keep the aliens and government from scanning my thoughts, while i set up a stake out behind my couch to catch the little people, that live in the airducts and tastes like gummy bears, change my thermostat is paranoid...then, maybe a little. But those little guys talk about there self more than Tyra Banks when she has a guest.
1f631.png

~[Incident Command System (ICS): A standardized on-scene emergency management construct specifically designed to provide for the adoption of an integrated organizational structure that reflects the complexity and demands of single or multiple incidents, without being hindered by jurisdictional boundaries. ICS is the combination of facilities, equipment, personnel, procedures, and communications operating within a common organizational structure, designed to aid in the management of resources during incidents. It is used for all kinds of emergencies and is applicable to small as well as large and complex incidents. ICS is used by various jurisdictions and functional agencies, both public and private, to organize field-level incident management operations.]~https://training.fema.gov/emiweb/is/icsresource/glossary.htm

They could just be planning the next natural disaster :p
just had to run inside and check those letters... a white work/tool truck just went down the dead end street i corner and the letters on the side were cs (and i think i) lol .. breathing a little easier .. they're just clearing some acreage....

just had to run inside and check those letters... a white work/tool truck just went down the dead end street i corner and the letters on the side were cs (and i think i) lol .. breathing a little easier .. they're just clearing some acreage....
You are so going to be on pins and needles..I feel for you, buddy.

Just out of curiosity- did the seller of the eggs contact Virginia for an import permit? Are they AI clean or just AI monitored? It appears from other states that they shipped to that they did not contact the states for current shipping requirements ( one article quoted a need for a test 7 days prior to shipping to Louisiana)? Also it appears Johnskoi that you dodged a bullet because others are not so lucky and their eggs were positive. Someone suggested a follow up story if the tests are negative after quarantine, will you be so quick to get the news out there if you have a positive? The USDA does not use NPIP to track who might have been exposed and they do not automatically kill every bird in an area with a case. They go door to door and tell people within a 6km radius that they are quarantined. They do kill every bird on a farm that has a positive, if they didn't the birds would be dead within days. Given the huge economic risk I can understand them wanting to kill everything before there is a positive. Would everyone be so happy for Johnskoi if you were his neighbor? Let's look at the bigger picture here.

Back
Top Bottom