Detached air cells on all eggs (shipped)

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I just received some eggs in the mail and it looks like the only eggs with air cells in tact are completely detached. I’ve got them in the incubator with the pointed side down inside of a paper egg carton.

What else should I do? I’m wondering if I should turn them at all over these next 24 hours. Really hope that not turning doesn’t make them stuck.

My adivce will be different than most other people so if you choose, take it with a grain of salt. I personally wouldn't do anaything else. It can be problematic that air cells are detached. However, IMO the fact that the yolks aren't broken is most important. The blastodisc, which is the female contribution to the forthcoming embryo is already present, a fertilized egg will have a blastoderm. That is early cell division . The yolk, while important, is nothing more than a lump of extreme nutrition. Once the embryo begin to tap into that nutrition, it will continue to progress regardless of the air cell. Turning will help them develop amniotic and chorionic membranes that allow them to absorb that nutrition.
I don't think the position of the air cell is affected by that process. To me, it only means that the inner membrane ruptured. That means it took quite a shock.

Last edited:
I just received some eggs in the mail and it looks like the only eggs with air cells in tact are completely detached. I’ve got them in the incubator with the pointed side down inside of a paper egg carton.

What else should I do? I’m wondering if I should turn them at all over these next 24 hours. Really hope that not turning doesn’t make them stuck.
Are they fully detached that they float all over in the egg or do they just move around the sides?

Are they fully detached that they float all over in the egg or do they just move around the sides?
Yeah they move all over, one was just a cluster of bubbles. There’s development in some of them though. The typical ring without a heart beat in the center. Whether that means those are dead I’m not sure yet

I do not turn shipped eggs for the first 3-4 days (basically until I see development). I have had pretty good success with shipped eggs this way even with detached and saddled air cells.
I see rings in some of them, like how it is on days 1-2. They won’t get stuck and die if I don’t turn them that long? These are tiny eggs, but I don’t know if that changes anything.

I see rings in some of them, like how it is on days 1-2. They won’t get stuck and die if I don’t turn them that long? These are tiny eggs, but I don’t know if that changes anything.
Do you have a picture? Many people mistake the growing yolk for a blood ring in the first few days. No they will not get stuck and die if you do not turn them for the first few days.

As long as they don't leak or stink, I don't recommend pulling them.
The bubbles just means air is moving about in the albumen, they can still incubate and hatch.
Week 1 is the most critical time for turning. That timeline doesn't change with detatched air cells.

Do you have a picture? Many people mistake the growing yolk for a blood ring in the first few days. No they will not get stuck and die if you do not turn them for the first few days.
I don’t but I can get one tomorrow. It’s like a flat circle with a darker border that moves around. It’s separate from the air cell. There’s maybe 3 like that and they’re all the same sized perfect circle. If you really need the picture now though I’ll get it as soon as I can

Back
Top Bottom