Detached/ wobbly air cells turn/tilt or other? Any help appreciated.

em530

Songster
8 Years
Oct 13, 2014
I have ordered 12 eggs so far 6 have showed up and iam leaving them for 24 hours to settle, at a glance the air cells are definitely wobbly, they could be totally detached but I daren’t turn the eggs upside down to find out for sure.
I have an incubator with a rolling floor so eggs I set are usually laid on their side, however for bad air cells this is not suitable so I have read.
so I have cut down some cardboard egg cartons and have them ready to put the eggs in upright.
Now this is where I have seen numerous different suggestions...
- leave them for 7 days then start tilting from one side to another?
- start tilting them from one side to another straight away?
- tilt and twist them?
- leave upright for hatching or lay down for hatching? (I realise that may be wishful thinking at this point)
Does anyone have any experience with this (good or bad) or ideas on what would give the eggs the best possible chance?
Thankyou in advance

Great! 😊 Are you incubating upright, or did you lay them on their sides? I am debating methodology for mine right now (I have done both methods before).

Great! 😊 Are you incubating upright, or did you lay them on their sides? I am debating methodology for mine right now (I have done both methods before).
I have one upright (the worst one) the rest were not turned for 2 days then laid on their sides and turned, let me know what you decide to do and the outcome 😊 do you have loose air cells?

I have one upright (the worst one) the rest were not turned for 2 days then laid on their sides and turned, let me know what you decide to do and the outcome 😊 do you have loose air cells?
Yes, just got them today, silkie eggs, and all have loose air cells. The breeder could not have packed them better, eggs in foam and double boxed. The eggs look better though then the last set, where many were detached completely.
I have used the upright incubating method the past 4 times with limited success. I have tried waiting anywhere from 24 hours to 7 days not to turn them without much difference. After doing A LOT of reading and research, I am in agreement that it is important to turn them early and often, so I have decided to let them settle 6 hours only, then let them sit upright in the incubator for 24 hours, then lay them on their side in my Brinsea incubator and let the turner do it's work, set for every 90 minutes. I am going to do my best to be "hands off" as much as possible and not candle until day 7. I have one of my own silkies' eggs added that I will use as a "control". 😊

Back
Top Bottom