Determain what sex my bobwhite are please?

Broodermy

Chirping
Jul 6, 2019
Hi, I have 2 9 week old bobwhite quail. Can anyone determine what sex they are please? Thanks :)

Attachments

• 20190909_074603.jpg
    20190909_074603.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190909_074619.jpg
    20190909_074619.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 34
You definitely have some late bloomers at 10 weeks old. They’re usually easy to sex by 8 weeks. The first one is a male for sure because it already has a white bib. Females never get the white patch on their upper chest. The second one looks like it could be a male too but it’s hard to tell in that photo.

You definitely have some late bloomers at 10 weeks old. They’re usually easy to sex by 8 weeks. The first one is a male for sure because it already has a white bib. Females never get the white patch on their upper chest. The second one looks like it could be a male too but it’s hard to tell in that photo.
Thanks so much! When do you think I'll be able to tell for sure with their rate of change. Tks :) and when will they start crowing and laying please? Tks :)

Thanks so much! When do you think I'll be able to tell for sure with their rate of change. Tks :) and when will they start crowing and laying please? Tks :)

Bobwhites don’t really crow. If you mean the “bob-white” call, both males and females can make that call. As for egg laying, bobwhites usually only lay in the spring and summer if kept in natural lighting. If kept in artificial 14h lighting then females can be simulated to start to lay at 4-5 months old in any season but eggs are typically undersized.

Back
Top Bottom