Determining EE sex--tips?

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I know it can be difficult sometimes to figure out which EE's might be roos. I ordered 6 pullets from Ideal, and two are suspect roos. They have redder combs and are heavy bodied and thick legged. They really seemed like roosters until the rest of the chicks caught up to them in growth this week. They're about 6 weeks now, and I'm having doubts as to whether they are roos or not.

What age can I begin looking for pointy neck feathers and saddle feathers? I just spent forever staring at my two roo suspects and neither of them seem to have any difference in feathers compared to the other four pullets.

Do black EE's have redder combs than the lighter shades? I ask because I've seen a couple threads on here (one recent long one) with black EE's and red combs and confusion over sex. One of my EE's in question is a black one. The other is various shades of red brown...which kind of looks like rooster coloring.

Any tips on telling EE sex would be appreciated! I have some older pictures of them from a week and a half ago--I posted these in another thread with other chicks, but didn't get much response. I've gotten all the other chicks figured out, just have these left to determine!

They are more feathered out this week.

EE on the left. (I've determined the Polish on the right is a pullet! YAY!!)

443646581_2fD7i-M.jpg

443653699_H4MQd-M.jpg

This is the black-ish one. The lighting is giving it a brown tint, but IRL it's mostly black with brown feather tips.
The blackish EE has a bald chest for some reason, if that matters in determining sex. Every other chick is fully feathered across their breast except this one. It has pink skin!

443652340_BKTrS-M.jpg

443653182_gRV5D-M.jpg

See that bald spot? It looks like a white spot in the picture.

Last edited:
Those pics are kind of hard to determine in. But, I would say that the second one is a cockerel.

If you wait another couple weeks it will be easier to tell.

It takes practice, practice, practice....
big_smile.png

I can take some new pictures of them tomorrow! These are old anyway, they have more feathers now. My 2 year old is attached to the black one, I'm really hoping it turns out to be a pullet.
sad.png
The brown one is big and gangly and not that friendly so we aren't too attached to it.

It does take practice to tell--it was much easier for me to spot the polish roos this time around and I'm certain I'm right. Last time we bought polish chicks that were already old enough to be out of the brooder, had no clue how to pick pullets, and ended up with several roosters. EE's are more mysterious, at least to me! I'm not that patient.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom