DETERMINING SEX OF CHICKS

henhousefreak

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 17, 2013
Can I get thought of the sex of these chicks. I'm going to take more pictures tomorrow. What are some traits of Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas to determine what sex they are?

Can I get thought of the sex of these chicks. I'm going to take more pictures tomorrow. What are some traits of Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas to determine what sex they are?
The white one on the left is probably a cockerel and the right one a pullet (I can't see the combs perfectly to be absolutely certain).
The one on the right is a cockerel and the one in the center is a pullet. I can't see the comb well enough to be certainof the one on the left.
The one on the right is a pullet and the other two are cockerels.
The one in the rear is a cockerel and the one in the front is probably a pullet (but again I cannot see the comb well).

I have too many cockerels! This is only a third of the straight run chicks that I bought! The dark one in the center of the 2nd picture is a Swedish Flower. I bought 3 of them. The other two look completely different but I'm hoping they are hens.

I have too many cockerels! This is only a third of the straight run chicks that I bought! The dark one in the center of the 2nd picture is a Swedish Flower. I bought 3 of them. The other two look completely different but I'm hoping they are hens.
Your Swedish Flower in the center of the 2nd picture is a pullet. A male that age would have a larger and redder comb and wattles.

Last edited:
I have 2 olive Eggers a friend hatched for me. They look totally different. They are both nice chickens but the tufted one can be a little skittish. Does the tuft have anything to do with the sex of the chicken?

I have 2 olive Eggers a friend hatched for me. They look totally different. They are both nice chickens but the tufted one can be a little skittish. Does the tuft have anything to do with the sex of the chicken?

No, both males and females can have tufts. However both of your Olive Eggers are pullets.

I've thought for a while that they were both pullets but started to wonder. Thanks for your help. I really love these chickens. They are so friendly. May have to hatch some more.

Back
Top Bottom