Determining sex?

BMTHOMAM

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Northern Ireland
I have 1 hen and I hatched her myself. I would love to hatch 1 or 2 more hens. The only problem is, is that I can't hatch any roosters because my neighbour complained about mine because he was so noisy, and I have a young brother which my rooster used to attack (my chicken's free roam) (and my rooster wasnt so friendly to my hen, he really needed a flock) so I had to give him to my mum's friend who has a flock of hen's which keep him occupied.

My question is, can you determine their sex while you're incubating them? I keep reptiles and you can determine some reptiles' sex by the temperature you incubate them at. For example a lower temperature can hatch a female and a higher temperature, will hatch a male. Can you do this with hens or is there anything I can do to make sure I hatch a hen and not a rooster? The reason I would rather hatch my own is that the hen I have which I hatched myself is just so friendly, healthy and smart. I rescued a few battery hens a while ago but they didn't live very long for me :'( I was constantly at the vet helping them but it didn't help :( One of them actually passed away in my arms as I was nursing her, it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

So is there anything I can do to make sure I hatch a hen and not a rooster?

Thanks for any help :)

Back
Top Bottom