Deterring night time predators?

Nighttime predators? Coyotes are 24 hour predators! Lost a hen that wouldnt stay with group two days ago. I was outside filling troughs, running table saw in driveway, dogs barking and noticed i was one short. The previous 3 attacks were at noon within 20 feet of the hose and dog pen. I adjusted free range time and so did coyotes. I have seen them trying to dig into run at noon. If you free range at any time they can be taken at anytime. Good strong run coop system has best guarantee. I have had dog and cows who knew when the electic fence wasnt working and breached it. It gives a low intenity noise they learn.
Havent lost a single bird at night but a dozen in last 5 years in daytime.

Fort knox coop, the only thing that could get into mine would be a bear, if that happens I will adjust. People who slap together a shelter and call it done are asking for trouble. You get what you put into it. Gary
I agree. We live on a dead end road. The predators use it like a highway. Here are a couple of coyotes.
DSCF0001tues 02.jpg
IMAG0001105 01.jpg

This was last nights visitor. This is the chick/grow-out coop. It knows the hot wire is there. The camera has the wrong date. Taken 10/31/18. I changed the batteries but forgot to check the date. I also changed the camera today. I put one of the better ones up.
View attachment 1577033
Nice pets you attract,,,,, :idunno Do you go out and pet them:old:gig

Nice pets you attract,,,,, :idunno Do you go out and pet them:old:gig
No, I go out and shoot them if they mess with my birds. Put up a few cameras on your property and I bet you will be surprised what wanders around. Most nights I get a predator on at least one of the cameras. I did use the cameras in the past to catch a two legged unwanted visitor who would come visiting in the wee hours in the mornings not stealing chickens but other things.

We do this. We have a solar powered electric fence and our security camera has picked up many predators being "deterred", haha. The only one that wasn't was an adult black bear, the cubs were, but she wasn't. So we upgraded fence strength and added the spikes that people put on statues to keep birds away so she can't climb on top of the coop again.
Yikes!!
Poultry netting or wire or tape or...
Get a hotter charger and test regularly.
Baiting hot fence with bacon is a good 'trainer' for bear.

My coop has an automatic chicken door that I installed. It's on a timer so that it opens every morning at a certain time and closes every evening when the chickens are inside the coop for roosting. I then put an electric fence around their yard about 1 foot off the ground for any predators that want to dig under and then I put another strand of electric wire around the top of the fence and I grounded the fence just in case a predator tries to climb it he's going to hit the electric wire at the top. I concreted under the gate, and I made a scarecrow out of plastic pipe that turns in the direction that the wind is blowing. I also put a pair of old blue jeans on the scarecrow so that the legs flap back and forth in the wind. So far I haven't had a single aerial attack or any ground predator inside the chicken run now in about 3 years, day or night.

You can always try one and see how it works. It isn't too expensive. I used motion lights years ago but the predators got used to them and they would go on a few times every night. Now I have electric wire around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and a heavy duty netting over all of my pens. I have several game cameras on my property and most nights I see some predator on at least one camera.View attachment 1575384
I figured they would get desensitized to the light, but this one also alarms, that way we would be alerted and could run out and chase it off, or even pull out the air rifle!

I use a combination of hotwire fencing where the perimeter can encompass acres or just the pens themselves. Dogs patrol and I shine area repeatedly with spot light. What help with owls is having a night light making so chickens can see comings and goings and alert dogs and me. Dogs then run owl out. Light part needs refining as what I have currently bright enough to impact egg production, so lower outputs will be explored.

This was last nights visitor. This is the chick/grow-out coop. It knows the hot wire is there. The camera has the wrong date. Taken 10/31/18. I changed the batteries but forgot to check the date. I also changed the camera today. I put one of the better ones up.
DSCF00541031 02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom