Deterring night time predators?

Yes, they will be desensitized to lights, even the red flashing ones...alarm will just have you running out when anything walks by, like the neighbor hood cat.
Best to just build your coop secure...and add hot wire if necessary.

Agree. We have motion detecting lights around the coop, but the animals seem to quickly ignore them.

Secure coops has worked for me 2 1/2 years at night. STC_0064.JPG . As long as I lockup the coop within a half hour after sunset.
I have had coons visit around 8pm in the above pic and the 4am hour, bottom pic. STC_0043.jpg . My old coop is in a open pen and a pullet was attacked by a Coopers Hawk 2 years ago, but survived and is still living at 31 months old. She's on the left. 20181023_101018.jpg .
I open coops at 5am year round and use lights inside and out. 20181027_064754.jpg . So far no attack between 5am and sunrise. Today is the latest sunrise of the year 7:24. Tomorrow will be 6:25. GC

Yeah i was gonna say get some motion detector lights and have a gun ready. I know it may be hard to shoot an animal but you got to think whats best for your chickens. I know we had a gun ready and had to shoot a fox for trying to get in out coop. There cute but not dealing with them killing my chickens. Do something asap though because my friend had about 190 chickens and one night she came out and like half of them were dead because of some animals so they are completly set up now. It would suck to come out and a buch of your chickens be dead. I know id loose my mind lmao

I had been locking my birds in at night but finally hooked up my electric. We had a visitor the first night. I think it knew because it walked around but didn't test the wire. The next day I added more hot wire. The date is wrong on the pictures but I moved this one and put a better camera up but no visitors here since.
DSCF00541031 02.jpg
DSCF00541031 03.jpg

Fort knox coop, the only thing that could get into mine would be a bear, if that happens I will adjust. People who slap together a shelter and call it done are asking for trouble. You get what you put into it.

Gary
i tried the link but it didn't work?

O.K so maybe I'm odd. Ms. Stella and i are going to Florida for her Service Dog re-certification and the annual Service Dog and handler Christmas luncheon. So I am having a young couple stay at my cabin and take care of the Chickens and Guniea. Yep I am a bit of a lunatic.

Back
Top Bottom