Deterring night time predators?

We have secured every where we can, a metal "fabric" around the base, no ability to dig under, a metal "fabric on the ground at least 2 feet out. the run area has a covering to keep the hawks out. Last, but not least, (I have learned this from some real ole timers) A radio, but on a talk station. Our local town has a news and talk station 24/7. But they are safe. The sound of human voices, and Mark Levin can get to sounding pretty upset, seems to keep the predators at bay.

Nighttime predators? Coyotes are 24 hour predators! Lost a hen that wouldnt stay with group two days ago. I was outside filling troughs, running table saw in driveway, dogs barking and noticed i was one short. The previous 3 attacks were at noon within 20 feet of the hose and dog pen. I adjusted free range time and so did coyotes. I have seen them trying to dig into run at noon. If you free range at any time they can be taken at anytime. Good strong run coop system has best guarantee. I have had dog and cows who knew when the electic fence wasnt working and breached it. It gives a low intenity noise they learn.
Havent lost a single bird at night but a dozen in last 5 years in daytime.
Here in the summer months the predators usually rest during the hot days and come out and hunt during the nights. I rarely have had a predator during the day but have in the past when the weather was cooler as we are starting to get now. Before I put the netting over the pens I had a coyote jump over a 5' fence into a pen. Some of the birds went over the fence to get out and the coyote went back over the fence to chase them. It did kill a couple of the birds and one died the next day but I did get a shot at it as it was chasing a bird through my back yard. I didn't kill it because I had bird shot in the rifle. It had plenty of pellets in it as I'm sure I hit it and it took off. I haven't lost a bird in several year due to a predator getting to my birds. I only free range when I'm out working on the coops and pens. The birds have very large pens and during the summer months even when I do let them out they prefer to stay in their pens because there is more shade in them. The pasture only has a couple of trees in it. they like the shade.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

Here in the summer months the predators usually rest during the hot days and come out and hunt during the nights. I rarely have had a predator during the day but have in the past when the weather was cooler as we are starting to get now. Before I put the netting over the pens I had a coyote jump over a 5' fence into a pen. Some of the birds went over the fence to get out and the coyote went back over the fence to chase them. It did kill a couple of the birds and one died the next day but I did get a shot at it as it was chasing a bird through my back yard. I didn't kill it because I had bird shot in the rifle. It had plenty of pellets in it as I'm sure I hit it and it took off. I haven't lost a bird in several year due to a predator getting to my birds. I only free range when I'm out working on the coops and pens. The birds have very large pens and during the summer months even when I do let them out they prefer to stay in their pens because there is more shade in them. The pasture only has a couple of trees in it. they like the shade.
View attachment 1578080

The coyotes here live on the wooded branch 350 yards behind my house. They wont play by the rule of laying up midday. Lol. I see coyotes regulaly midday and even a bobcat. The network of wooded creeks and draws within a half mile is like a highway since the 5 year drought broke. Rodent population explosion increases our predator population when the rains came. I have shot and missed and they stayed away for a couple of months. Its never ending battle. Good luck, hopefully your setup will help.

Secure your coop the best you can. The only thing I can think of as a deterrent would be electric fencing. Many peeps bait their Hot Wire fencing to entice predators to try the flavor of electricity. :gig:th
The electricity only jolts the animal, but does not harm it. :thumbsup
They learn quickly to stay away.
During the day when not necessary, just switch the fencing off.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

We do this. We have a solar powered electric fence and our security camera has picked up many predators being "deterred", haha. The only one that wasn't was an adult black bear, the cubs were, but she wasn't. So we upgraded fence strength and added the spikes that people put on statues to keep birds away so she can't climb on top of the coop again.

Yes, they will be desensitized to lights, even the red flashing ones...alarm will just have you running out when anything walks by, like the neighbor hood cat.
Best to just build your coop secure...and add hot wire if necessary.

Agree. We have motion detecting lights around the coop, but the animals seem to quickly ignore them.

We do this. We have a solar powered electric fence and our security camera has picked up many predators being "deterred", haha. The only one that wasn't was an adult black bear, the cubs were, but she wasn't. So we upgraded fence strength and added the spikes that people put on statues to keep birds away so she can't climb on top of the coop again.
Yikes!!
Poultry netting or wire or tape or...
Get a hotter charger and test regularly.
Baiting hot fence with bacon is a good 'trainer' for bear.

Secure coops has worked for me 2 1/2 years at night. STC_0064.JPG . As long as I lockup the coop within a half hour after sunset.
I have had coons visit around 8pm in the above pic and the 4am hour, bottom pic. STC_0043.jpg . My old coop is in a open pen and a pullet was attacked by a Coopers Hawk 2 years ago, but survived and is still living at 31 months old. She's on the left. 20181023_101018.jpg .
I open coops at 5am year round and use lights inside and out. 20181027_064754.jpg . So far no attack between 5am and sunrise. Today is the latest sunrise of the year 7:24. Tomorrow will be 6:25. GC

Back
Top Bottom