developing at different rate *pics*

dovecanyon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 15, 2009
Weaverville, CA
My chickies are 1 week old tomorrow morning. I can't believe how much they have grown already! My question: They are all developing at different rates, do different breeds develop faster than others? White Leghorn (Diamond) has wing feathers and the cutest little short tail feathers; Barred Rock (Onyx) has wing feathers and no tail feathers; RIR (Ruby) only has one tiny wing feather just starting to show, and no tail feathers. They were all hatched on the same morning. Is this common? I also see the pecking order starting already, in the same order as their development. They are all 3 eating and drinking well, and their bodies are all the same size- just the difference in feathering.

Diamond with her wing and tail feathers:
42977_chicks_044.jpg

42977_chicks_046.jpg

Onyx with just the wing feathers:
42977_chicks_036.jpg

42977_chicks_038.jpg

Ruby with just one little wing feather peeking out:
42977_chicks_035.jpg

42977_chicks_034.jpg

This is to show that they are all the same size:
42977_chicks_048.jpg

And this one is just for fun:
42977_chicks_047.jpg

Oh, I just love them all so much already! Ruby and Onyx are quite easy to handle, but Diamond is still skittish about being held. Hope she comes around...
Thanks for your input!

It's all genetics, different lines and different breeds will feather at different rates. It is not always an indication of gender as feathering rates in only some breeds have been skewed for feather sexing abilities as hatchlings.

love.gif
Aww your little gems really are getting big! I've got a nice mix of breeds (3 1/2 weeks now) and they are all developing differently too. They're just like kids. All with their own developmental rate and their own personalities! Just today I thought I glimpsed another pasty butt after I thought we were past all that. I scooped her up only to find she was the first one to get any feathers on her little fuzz butt! So silly me, I had to call all the kids over so everyone could be proud of our little feather bottomed girl!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom