Developing duck egg has air sac at wrong end

Yes, I think if we incubate eggs again, we'll connect a thermostat so that we don't suffer any temperature spikes or dips!

Thanks so much for the links and duckling information. It's so great to be in contact with people who are so knowledgeable and share our enthusiasm! One thing we haven't done yet is find a source of niacin to add to the duckling's feed. We'll do this before they hatch in 5 days' time.

We'll definitely be back for more advice I'm sure! And we'll post a pic once our babies arrive.
GNC is a good source for Brewers yeast and plain niacin and on line[ Amazon ] Or Vitacost

They're here!! Pictures as promised :) We have one Welsh Harlequin and one Magpie duckling (hatched 2 January). My daughter has named them Arlo and Daisy, even though we hope that they are actually BOTH females for egg laying capability in future! We are besotted.

At the moment we just have one question - when are they old enough to swim in some shallow water?

They can swim from day one. The big thing is that without a mother duck they have zero water resistance. So you have to make sure they don't sink and make sure they don't get chilled. The water temp needs to be at least 90 and it should be a warm room.

They're here!! Pictures as promised :) We have one Welsh Harlequin and one Magpie duckling (hatched 2 January). My daughter has named them Arlo and Daisy, even though we hope that they are actually BOTH females for egg laying capability in future! We are besotted. At the moment we just have one question - when are they old enough to swim in some shallow water?
Adorable little 'lings!!! :love I agree with the other poster, swimming is a natural instinct for them but warm room and water is a must... I have Calls so I usually wait til about a week old before doing shallow swims in warm water... I also would suggest a nice and gentle towel dry followed by a blow dry on lower heat... that down will hold water too long and they will get chilled... Also, I strongly recommend moving them out of the styrofoam asap... they will eat it and that could end very tragically... Oh, and watch out for the back up and 'clear!' pose, lol... :)

They're here!! Pictures as promised :) We have one Welsh Harlequin and one Magpie duckling (hatched 2 January). My daughter has named them Arlo and Daisy, even though we hope that they are actually BOTH females for egg laying capability in future! We are besotted.

At the moment we just have one question - when are they old enough to swim in some shallow water?

Adorable!!
love.gif

They're here!! Pictures as promised :) We have one Welsh Harlequin and one Magpie duckling (hatched 2 January). My daughter has named them Arlo and Daisy, even though we hope that they are actually BOTH females for egg laying capability in future! We are besotted. At the moment we just have one question - when are they old enough to swim in some shallow water?
Head over heels in love
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

Thanks very much for the advice RavynFallen. They have now had 2 swims in warm shallow water in a warm room, followed by towel dry and drying with hair dryer. Very successful and they just love it!

Thanks also for the warning about the styrofoam. Actually we have lined the styrofoam bin with clear plastic sheeting for easy clean-up, and so far it has been impossible for them to reach the actual styrofoam. But we'll definitely keep this in mind for the future! And we love the back up and 'clear' pose - too true!! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom