Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Yet they are known to whip hawks, if for no other reason than they have the size to do it with little consequence. That’s all I’m looking for something that can and sometimes will.
I believe that’s a selling point for people cashing in on a bird that looks tough but can’t back it up. I’d have to see that consistently to believe it. I have numerous hens and one in particular that seems to enjoy fighting off hawks. I can’t allow roosters to run loose since they’re gamefowl so they don’t get the chance.
Good luck with your project.

2. The Liege. I obtained 3 quality Liege pullets just recently. Originally I was going to avoid using the Liege in my project, but I've been so impressed with them I think they'll suit my purposes fine for my F1s. I actually wasn't expecting to find Liege on a farm near me, but low and behold I was surprised. Big thanks to hydlemour and Didby57. I don't yet have good pictures of the pullets, but this afternoon I took a quick video of one of the pullets right after a rainstorm in the breeding coop I'm going to keep them with until I get a hatch from them and Number 1.
How do Liege fighters compare to other gamefowl breeds? I heard they are intelligent and pugnacious, but that opinion came from people who have not kept real games.

How do Liege fighters compare to other gamefowl breeds? I heard they are intelligent and pugnacious, but that opinion came from people who have not kept real games.

So far, I haven’t had the Liege long enough to compare to anything. And where my JF hybrids may be of mixed or no game heritage, depending on what exactly they were crossed with, I can’t use them as a comparison in terms of aggression. I can use them as a comparison in terms of survival instinct and general physical ability as free rangers, but again I haven’t had the Liege long enough to make definite observations. Also, anything I would observe is bound to change as the Liege are only 6 month old.

What I can observe right now is based on their behavior in the large coop and run I have them housed in with several layers and some JF.

Up to this point, the Liege are unsure of their place in the pecking order. They tower over everything else, including 18 month old Wyandottes and 8 month old mixed layers of large breed background. But they don’t necessarily press that size advantage over the other chickens and in scuffles sometimes the Liege wins and sometimes the others win. Even my little JF hens at less than 2lbs can run the Liege back. But in fairness the mature JF hens have some hellfire in them in terms of aggression.

The Liege have no problem flying up to roost at 8 feet high. They fly better than I expected. When my JF bullstag scraped one with his spurs she flew a circle around the walls of the coop and I was suprised she could do that. Their wings seem too small in proportion to their body but when stretched out their wings are long and broad nontheless. Still probably not what they ought to be for their body size to fly like a wild turkey but bigger than they seem when folded.

Number 1 doesn’t like the Liege pullets. He spurs them lightly when they get too close. Nothing that breaks skin or removes feathers. Just enough to keep them back. That’s a quirk of my JF roosters. They often don’t like hens that aren’t bankivoid looking. When younger Number 1 would breed my Wyandottes so I’m going to give it time. So long as he doesn’t hurt them I’ll keep them together through when they begin laying and if he isn’t fertilizing them I’ll possibly turn them out to free range and pen them with whichever suitable stag shows an interest in them.

_DSC0162.jpeg

_DSC0183.jpeg

I've run into a couple of unexpected snags.

First, the Liege are not vigorous eaters of processed grain food. At least these three pullets aren't. They greedily devour table scraps, bacon fat, raw eggs, and pumpkins. But they barely eat laying crumbles. I can see that they're starting to lose weight and look a little emaciated. Therefore I turned them out to free range today. I'll monitor them over the next couple of weeks to see if they put weight back on.

Second, Number 1, my chosen stag to breed them too, just can't stand them. He's constantly harassing them. That's a quirk of my jungle fowl hybrids. They're very hen picky and many of them won't breed a non-JF hybrid hen at all. Therefore I'm going to have to let their suitor choose them from the free range flock. Which I'm not excited about because I have several roosters that don't have the build I'm looking for. For example:

_DSC0191.jpeg

This guy is all bloodied up from fighting one of his stag brothers this evening. 20 minutes they went on until the fight finally got broken up. This little guy has a very gamey disposition, as I've watched him dominate his brothers before in free range spars. But, he's under 2lbs. I have JF hybrid roosters near twice his size. But he likes the Liege hens. He's already tried to breed them today. So although his attitude is nice for what I'm looking for, his little body size is not.

Have you thought of doing artificial insemination with your rooster that doesn't like the hens? There are youtube videos showing how it is done, seems really easy to do.

I have not. I didn't even know that would be reasonably possible for a hobbyist. If its practical, it could be a possibility. For now, I'm going to just let the Liege blend in to the free range flock and I'll try to see if any of the roosters that will breed them are ones I'll be happy with.

_DSC0408.jpeg

_DSC0219.jpeg

_DSC0053.jpeg

The Liege are doing better now that they're free ranging. The grey one with the green bands was looking sickly for several days and was getting lethargic, then overnight she was better. They're all feeding vigorously now and seen to take their fair share of feed offered to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom