Development of paint silkies?

Taneile

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2016
I'm curious to the the development of paint silkies and what was crossed with what to create such a beautiful bird? Was it a white with splash?

Get ahold of Judy Lee (she's on facebook). She developed paint silkies here in the US.
I believe it was a genetic mutation that she kept and bred to the point where it breeds true.
They say that you should breed your paints to blacks every now and then as that will help keep the spots darker, gives them more spots, and also helps prevent so much pink skin leakage which is common in paints

They do in my experience as well as others I've read about
I keep hearing that but then when you hear this also..

Actually, Paints do breed true......but--in my experience---they also produce dominant white and black. The reason it is recommended to breed Paint to black or white is to improve upon the "type".

That right there is the meaning of "not breeding true"...

Some people call the paint gene a mutation named Erminette, but Erminette is not a mutation on itself but a chicken breed that display the same paint pattern, but the paint pattern of Erminette chickens don´t breed true, they also get pure white and pure black when they cross Erminette patter with Erminette pattern, so they cross the pure whites with blacks to produce 100% Erminette or with black to produce 50% Erminette.

Back
Top Bottom