Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

You have to get the lavender gene in the line so breeding a Lavender with a Black will give you black and split black babies. There's no way to tell which carry the lavender gene so you breed all the pullets back to the Father. The babies that have two copies of the Lavender gene will be Lavender. You then go from there.

Yep but like Jody and others they keep bringing in other Black Orps to try and get the type and temp they are looking for so you start the process all over again.

My two lavender roosters are really friendly with people, but they are just terrible to my call ducks. I might have to scrap my whole project. The one rooster is huge and starting to look really nice, but he cannot leave my calls alone. I only have one coop for everyone. I don't know what to do.

Actually, the results work as follows:

Lav X Black = All black carrying one copy of the lavender gene (splits)

Split X Split = 25% lav, 50% split, 25% black

Lav X Split = 50% lav, 50% split

Lav X Lav = 100% lavender

scgamecock - you might want to consider using a peacombed lavender instead if you can get one with good size and with the other traits you need. I have araucana with peacomb and yellow skin. While the size is nice on them (not near as large as the orps but nice), I'm not sure how they'd work for working towards wyandotte type. Of course, the egg color would be an issue too. Something to consider tho.

Yeah I guess that would be a possibilty to consider. I still have some time before spring to get my thoughts together on which way to start. Are your Araucana rumpless or are they more like the "Americana's" ?

The majority of our araucana are rumpless and the breeders we select for next year will only be rumpless. All roosters are tufted, except one I have is clean faced and rumpless. I have tufted rumpless, tufted partial tailed and 1 tufted full tailed boy. All of the girls are clean faced and rumpless I believe. I may have a couple with tufts too, but if I recall most of the tufts landed on the roos with this year's hatches.

Here are some pics that I promised of my lavender orps from today. I thought this first pic was so cute - almost looks like they're kissing.
smile.png

042-2.jpg

043-1.jpg

022-2.jpg

016-1.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

020-2.jpg

Oh, I love that first picture. Look at the look in that hen's eye. She looks seriously attracted to him or is maybe she is ticked but it is a very intense look lol. Very Cute. I love all your fluffy butts..makes ya wanna hug em and squeeze em and....LOL!
I still haven't hatched any lavs from my split black/lavs (sigh)

Jody, they are looking amazing!!
thumbsup.gif
I love love the rooster in the first picture. Makes me even more excited for my next generation, just wish the girls would quite holding those darn eggs hostage.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom