development question

rir264

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Plant City, Florida
This is my first time incubating and have 14 bantam eggs going, on day seven I candle and saw the little embryos bouncing around and of course the veining. my question is that on day 14 i candled and it seems that three eggs the development is not as advanced as the others, is this normal and will they "catch up" closer to hatching day? Why the the delay in development? Saturday should be the day that they hatch I am so excited.

This is my first time incubating and have 14 bantam eggs going, on day seven I candle and saw the little embryos bouncing around and of course the veining. my question is that on day 14 i candled and it seems that three eggs the development is not as advanced as the others, is this normal and will they "catch up" closer to hatching day? Why the the delay in development? Saturday should be the day that they hatch I am so excited.
Here's a good thread for comparison: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

If you have warm and cool spots in your bator and you don't rotate the eggs throughout the incubation any eggs sitting in a warmer spot will grow faster. Don't be surprised if they are delayed hatching or the more advanced hatch early.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the info I did not realize that I needed to rotate the eggs within the bator. If they are delayed by a day or two will lockdown harm the that are going to hatch a day or two later and should I turn them for a extra day or just leave them alone with the other eggs?

Thanks for the info I did not realize that I needed to rotate the eggs within the bator. If they are delayed by a day or two will lockdown harm the that are going to hatch a day or two later and should I turn them for a extra day or just leave them alone with the other eggs?
Even if they are delayed a day, you'd go into lockdown as normal. And eggs do not NEED to be turned after two weeks anyhow, so don't worry about that. We turn eggs during early develoment so the growing embryo doesn't adhere to one side of the egg, once the chic is formed an can move independently and the membrane is enclosing them, there is no reason to turn the eggs. I actually stop turning at the end of day 13.

Rotating is one of those things that just "helps" to keep an egg from being in a warm or cool spot the whole incubation. I use an LG with a fan and I still have warm and cool areas in my bator. Directly under my heating element is 1-2 degrees warmer than the outside and corners and the very center of my bator. If I am just doing a few eggs I can pretty much set them up under the heating element w/o too much worry, but if I am going to do a big load, it'd serve me better to rotate eggs so the cooler eggs get time in the warmer spots and vice versa.

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. I want to do things right to give these guys the best start! I go into lock down on Wednesday. My husband says that I am worse than a mother hen. Again thanks

Back
Top Bottom