Devestation, i'm mad, heartbroken and i have given up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Do you have a basement or somewhere inside to put a box of chicks if everyone got together on a go fund me account to help you get replacements from a hatchery?

Waste of time to try again. Everythingci care about dies. I can't handle more heartbreak .
Mateika, you are worried about many things right now. Your partner is at the center of your concern. He is failing and you feel you are doing all you can but life is slipping away...all you love in this world is out of your control to hold onto. Just heard a bit of wisdom this very week: "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on" is an old adage but it's not good enough. Let go and give it to God." Mateika, you partner, your chickens, all your efforts are not enough. You need to turn all of it over to the Lord who created all of everything and who still is in control and who still LOVES you. He is your source of peace. Start there. Sit still and reflect on what I'm saying. When you feel stronger, assess the situation. Don't be afraid to ask God to take care of all your problems. He is able. God is the giver of live. He restores also. Your spirit needs refreshing right now. God bless you, dear Mateika.

I'm a little confused by some people's oh the dog reaction. I love dogs, and have in my life ended up with a few animal aggressive ones. It's one thing if the dog has a secure home and a dedicated owner who is willing to put in the work to keep their pet within the boundaries of their property. These folks don't even want to claim the dog. So she doesn't have any recourse.

Every person who says just take it to the pound or a rescue is overlooking a very important point. Places and institutions like that cannot re-home an aggressive livestock killer even if she's not human aggressive. They will put the dog down rather than pass that hazard along to anyone. That's why if you have such a dog it is your responsibility to keep her secure. This has not happened for this dog and it's very sad.

Unless you are willing to go down and take that dog yourself along with the liability if she kills someone else's animals, please don't judge someone else for stating the obvious. The pups need to be re-homed ASAP. The mother unfortunately sealed her own fate. She cannot be safely re-homed without risking other people's animals. Odds are a dog that driven to kill when well fed will go after people's small pets as well.

I personally would call the sheriff's office on this case and have them deal with the dog. If everyone is claiming she's stray that just leaves them free to do their jobs uncontested. You clearly have more to deal with than you can emotionally handle right now, and this isn't your fault.

As for starting over I think perhaps you should take some time. There's nothing wrong with giving yourself time to grieve your loss and take care of yourself before making a permanent decision. I hope your partner recovers quickly and I hope you are able to find peace with whatever decisions you make.

I'm a little confused by some people's oh the dog reaction. I love dogs, and have in my life ended up with a few animal aggressive ones. It's one thing if the dog has a secure home and a dedicated owner who is willing to put in the work to keep their pet within the boundaries of their property. These folks don't even want to claim the dog. So she doesn't have any recourse.

Every person who says just take it to the pound or a rescue is overlooking a very important point. Places and institutions like that cannot re-home an aggressive livestock killer even if she's not human aggressive. They will put the dog down rather than pass that hazard along to anyone. That's why if you have such a dog it is your responsibility to keep her secure. This has not happened for this dog and it's very sad.

Unless you are willing to go down and take that dog yourself along with the liability if she kills someone else's animals, please don't judge someone else for stating the obvious. The pups need to be re-homed ASAP. The mother unfortunately sealed her own fate. She cannot be safely re-homed without risking other people's animals. Odds are a dog that driven to kill when well fed will go after people's small pets as well.

I personally would call the sheriff's office on this case and have them deal with the dog. If everyone is claiming she's stray that just leaves them free to do their jobs uncontested. You clearly have more to deal with than you can emotionally handle right now, and this isn't your fault.

As for starting over I think perhaps you should take some time. There's nothing wrong with giving yourself time to grieve your loss and take care of yourself before making a permanent decision. I hope your partner recovers quickly and I hope you are able to find peace with whatever decisions you make.

I like that you brought up the idea people can love dogs, but just not love THAT particular dog. Its a good reminder to separate the wheat from the chaff.

A simple single wire electric fence about 1 ft off the ground around the base of your coop and run does wonders for keeping predators, and especially dogs, away from your coop. There are battery powered and solar option if your coop isn't electrified. Just something to think about before you try to rebuild your flock.

This is a great idea to put electric fencing around the run. Too bad we don’t have a food market for dogs. Pits are dangerous animals. If this wild beast is caught best to have it and all offspring brought to a shelter where they’ll do whatever they need to do. Look at the human attacks from pitbulls, dangerous animals. Thankful that this pit didn’t attack a child...yet. Aggression is bred into these beasts. It will likely take time to overcome such a big loss, grieve, rest, care for you your partner and your remaining bird. God bless and be safe!

So very sorry to hear this has happened. You have a lot of support on this forum. It sounds like you need to surround yourself with personal support and some help right now. Please reach out to friends and family members. It’s a heavy burden to bear by yourself. Good luck.

Thank You my thoughts exactly. The neighbor is close family (step son to my partner). I don't want police involved. If you fwedb waterb shelter a stray-your responsible for it-their reasoning (I guess) they didn't pick/acquire it, so it's not theirs . like I stated (emotions talking here) everything I care about dies. I cannot handle reconstructing my shattered heart again.
It is devastating for sure. We have all been there at one time. It sounds like you have a lot going on right now and this is one more thing. It took me two years to try again. Take care of yourself.

Happened to me also, now have coop surrounded with chain link fence, I shot the dog. Still enjoy keeping hens. Plus love my dog. Shoot the dog you will feel better knowing it want be back.
I had a secure coop (I thought) 1/2 inch hardware cloth all around coop and run. Tuesday, my partner (he's 84) fell, bruised elbow cracked ribs on right side. We limped along till Friday, he is unable to get into/out of bed without help, pain meds-dizzy so I have to help him up/down to bathroom etc...
Friday, I left the birds in runb did not let them free range. 5:30 or so I help partner bathroom, change clothes, back to bed, stayed with him for about an hour til he is resting easy.
Go out to collect eggs, birds iwere fine @ 4 when I checked, now 7:15 and utter carnage. 6 girls and a cockerel. Run is destroyed, 2x2 chewed until it broke, hcView attachment 2322439View attachment 2322440 ripped out of screws. 1 dead 3 missing, 1 game pullet and rooster loose. No idea what got em. Almost dark, secure coop with pullet, rooster won't go near coop, he slept on table on back porch. Yesterday, plywood run holes. 5 p.m. I see dog with pink collar chasing rooster across yard. By time I get gun, dog is happily carrying rooster home (next door). Neighbors called, their out of town(also family) state they don't have a dog with pink collar-there's a stray that showed up and had puppies on their porch. Long rant, 1 chicken left and I give up. I won't try to have anything alive here. That dog WILL DIE- I'll shoot it, trap it poison it-whatever it takes. Neighbors stated shoot it I have permission. Don't dump your problem on someone else.
I had a secure coop (I thought) 1/2 inch hardware cloth all around coop and run. Tuesday, my partner (he's 84) fell, bruised elbow cracked ribs on right side. We limped along till Friday, he is unable to get into/out of bed without help, pain meds-dizzy so I have to help him up/down to bathroom etc...
Friday, I left the birds in runb did not let them free range. 5:30 or so I help partner bathroom, change clothes, back to bed, stayed with him for about an hour til he is resting easy.
Go out to collect eggs, birds iwere fine @ 4 when I checked, now 7:15 and utter carnage. 6 girls and a cockerel. Run is destroyed, 2x2 chewed until it broke, hcView attachment 2322439View attachment 2322440 ripped out of screws. 1 dead 3 missing, 1 game pullet and rooster loose. No idea what got em. Almost dark, secure coop with pullet, rooster won't go near coop, he slept on table on back porch. Yesterday, plywood run holes. 5 p.m. I see dog with pink collar chasing rooster across yard. By time I get gun, dog is happily carrying rooster home (next door). Neighbors called, their out of town(also family) state they don't have a dog with pink collar-there's a stray that showed up and had puppies on their porch. Long rant, 1 chicken left and I give up. I won't try to have anything alive here. That dog WILL DIE- I'll shoot it, trap it poison it-whatever it takes. Neighbors stated shoot it I have permission. Don't dump your problem on someone else.

I agree with what some people have said here, but not with killing the dog.

I'm sorry to hear about your partner and your chickens.

It is a terrible time to say this but your coop/run cannot have been very secure for just a dog to get into it that quick. Focus on fixing it up stronger.

And it isn't the dog's fault she is hungry and had nobody to look after her or her puppies. She has obviously been abandoned by someone and to face death for just getting food for her pups is awful and unnecessary. The pups will be a bigger problem if they lose their mother. Your family should have called animal control sooner.
Olive in a rural area like this person, You are animal control, kill the dog, period.
This is a typical example of human beings letting down the animals in our care. None of it is the chickens or the dogs fault.

Please call animal control and get them to round up the stray and her pups. They stand a good chance of being rehomed that way, and far away from your house and chicken run.

It must be so raw now but do try and not react with violence and weapons. That really isn't the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom