Devestation, i'm mad, heartbroken and i have given up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matejka I hope you could put a trail/wildlife camera out before you kill the dog. I’m playing detective by looking at the damage to your coop as closely as I can. I’m looking at the top picture and don’t see any rips in the hardware cloth along the edges. And it looks like it was pulled out. A dog wouldn’t normally pull a section of hardware cloth but an animal like a raccoon or bobcat with those types of claws could.
The bottom picture also looks like the HC had been pulled. Im not sure about the hunks of missing wood but could a dog use its front teeth to nip off the wood like that?
I think you need to identify the culprit for sure then put it 6’ under for good.
I agree, that damage seems to be pretty destructive for a dog that is getting fed.

Sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen to me with my quail and a dog years ago. It kept coming, ripping open the pen, and I took time off from work for two days waiting for it and shot it. I have zero tolerance for predators and no remorse about doing them in; I don't care what species they are. And if they themselves have young, well, that's just a few less to worry about.

Too bad we don’t have a food market for dogs. Pits are dangerous animals. If this wild beast is caught best to have it and all offspring brought to a shelter where they’ll do whatever they need to do. Look at the human attacks from pitbulls, dangerous animals. Thankful that this pit didn’t attack a child...yet. Aggression is bred into these beasts. It will likely take time to overcome such a big loss, grieve, rest, care for you your partner and your remaining bird. God bless and be safe!
This is grossly ignorant, and honestly makes me so angry I wish you were in front of me right now. I have a 90 lb pit who is my best friend. Sweetest dog I know. I worked in a no-kill shelter in NY for pits who were abused by humans and dogs in every way imaginable. They were all probably better creatures than you, and a very rare few were unable to be rehabilitated into wonderful family dogs. People like you are the problem, not this wonderful breed of companion.

Please don't kill the dog. Please get the dog and puppies to a shelter. If it is far, you can post of dog rescue groups on Facebook, in your area and some kind soul will make the road trip and come and collect her. Dog people will move mountains to help a mama and babies in need plus your problem will be gone.

This is grossly ignorant, and honestly makes me so angry I wish you were in front of me right now. I have a 90 lb pit who is my best friend. Sweetest dog I know. I worked in a no-kill shelter in NY for pits who were abused by humans and dogs in every way imaginable. They were all probably better creatures than you, and a very rare few were unable to be rehabilitated into wonderful family dogs. People like you are the problem, not this wonderful breed of companion.
ANY DOG can become aggressive, no matter HOW well trained ! PERIOD! I have worked with dogs in kennels and have owned various breeds...I have been bitten by dogs that people have told me the same thing you have said ,,,they are the sweetest dog, my dog wont do that...ect...ect. I did nothing to provoke such dogs they have come up and bitten me for no reason while I was walking down the street minding my own buisness. These dogs were unleashed and ran OUT OF THIER YARDS, while disobeying owners commands and bit me!!.And not just me it's been other people too.ANd if a dog is killing other peoples flocks in my town it's a $150 fine and 10 day quarentine and if no one claimes said dog they are put down. H ave lost 4 flocks to animals and I will use a gun if needed to protect my flock.

I understand that it's very upsetting when something happens to your chickens. However, a pregnant or nursing mother dog desperate to feed puppies hardly deserves that sort of treatment. It's not her fault that someone abandoned her and neglected simple kindness of getting her spayed. And she is gamely trying to provide for her family with no human help. Keep in mind, if she hadn't gotten into your Coop, something else would have eventually. a coop made of two by twos is just a disaster waiting to happen in a rural area. I live in a suburb and I hand built my own coop with the help of my sister out of four x fours and two by sixes, and some two-by-fours. there's not a single piece of lumber on that coupe that's less than a 2 by 4, and all of them are anchored to another two by four. Can everyone do this, probably not. But realistically, that was never a very safe coop. I know it's frustrating when you think they're safe and aren't
Also, keep in mind you allowed your rooster to sleep outside on a table on your porch. That's not exactly good chicken keeping!
Neither is doing nothing to secure your remaining hen and then just letting her wander off with a hungry dog on the loose. I understand you're having a hard time right now, but taking out your frustrations on helpless animal like a dog, makes you a pretty pathetic and irredeemable person in my mind. And I think in the minds of pretty much everyone. You need to take a step back and take stock of yourself and your methods.
I also think it's best not to raise more chickens. The Coop you have or had is not equipped for your location.

Is everyone going to like this post? No. Is everyone going to agree with me? No. But I'm not going to sugarcoat it.
This post is a clear example of what I was talking about in another post about bullying and generalized meanness.
It is commendable that you are all empathetic with the dog (can I assume here that you are equally empathetic with foxes, coyotes, and raccoons, etc., who are also trying to feed their young?), but at the same time, you have no empathy for an elderly woman, struggling to care for a sick partner, who is heartbroken because her birds were killed.
Do you really want to tell someone in her situation that she is irredeemable? “In my mind and I think in the minds of pretty much everyone...” (Seriously???)
Speak for yourself. Please don’t speak for “everyone”.
Am I supposed to admire you because you feel bad for a dog, when you are cruel and heartless to an old person?????
Sorry, I’m just telling it like it is.
Are you wrong about the chicken coop not being adequate? No, of course not.
Are you wrong about the dog needing to be rescued? No. The dog should be rescued, obviously.
I don’t dispute those things. What I object to is your derisive presentation.
There are ways to be helpful, and ways to be nasty.
You were just nasty.
I don’t sugarcoat either.

Last edited:
I had mine completely predator proof and then a bear came.I understand your grief and am so sorry.I switched gears and bought a very sturdy coop.Then I bought a German Shepard puppy and trained her to guard them.She was on a leash with me every morning and night doing my chores with me around them.She now even protects them from the hawk when they are free roaming.The only loss I have had is from my window screen when I wasn’t quick enough letting her outside to chase it.She is now my best friend.Sometimes when we encounter horrible rock bottom loss it can lead to better things.I am so sorry for what happened to you but in the country stray dogs are continuously coming.Get a better dog.Please don’t poison that’s a horrible thing to do.

I admit I'm a booger-eating newbie, including to country living, chickens, and to this board, but here is what I think, FWIW:

1) KEEP THAT GUN IN THE CABINET! Violence and weapons never make situations better. They are for dire emergencies, when there's no other choice. The attack is over. Now it's time to use your words and your thoughts. You're upset, and angry (and rightfully so) which is a bad time for weapons of any type. The dire emergency is passed, and is now become a dispute. Good news is you have the high ground in this dispute. You instantly lose that high ground when you pull a trigger.
2) Put out the fire. Get the remaining bird somewhere safe from the dog.
3) Calmly and respectfully confront the other party. Think carefully about what you're going to say. Anticipate their defenses, and prepare responses. Make a list of exactly what you think you are owed to make things right. Think about possible win-win solutions. But be prepared to walk away, and go to court/the authorities if needed. If voices raise, walk away immediately. If you cannot use words, send certified letters, even if they're next door. Your actions are provable and in writing. Think of it as an opportunity to set an example to the young ones in your life on how to settle things well.
4) Don't give up. You obviously loved your birds. I submit that you owe it to yourself to rebuild and carry on. It sounds like you are in the later part of your life, please don't let despair and fear ruin what should be the most rewarding phase of your life.
5) Rebuild. Think carefully and critically about what went wrong with your coop/run design. For my part I was advised to fasten the HC on the outside of the frame (pressure treated 2x4s) so as to force animals to push against the fasteners rather than pull them out. Tractor Supply sells thick-wired hog panels (they're pricey) you could fasten to the outside to augment the HC, believe me nothing is getting through that stuff.

I hope I've helped, and I wish you all the best.

Regards,
--Kerry
THIS is a helpful post! Everyone take notes!
Thank you, Kerry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom