Dewinging...

Eeeewww.
sad.png

I sure hope it just means clipped.

they also call it pinioning, they do this to keep them from flying, they actually clip the wing tip off, it seems cruel to me when you can keep the feathers trimmed, they do this with mallards, muscovies and canada geese

At first I thougtht of pinioning, but they have it listed the egg layers.
The options were:
- Debeaking
-Dewinging
-Dubbing

if it was pinioning, wouldnt it be under a breed that could fly?

light-weight chickens and turkies fly pretty well, not far- but enough to get loose over a fence or up into a tree...

Turkies fly quite well actually. wild ones fly right up onto my grandmother's roof!

Maybe they listed it as 'dewining' so people knew what it was....I have never heard of pinioning.

I understand flock owners wanting their flock to stay put...but handicapping them is cruel. I have never heard of that. maybe we should start chopping guitar players hands off hands off or marathon runners' feet off...???

Birds have wings...its because nature intended them to FLY !!!??

hmm.png

e

Last edited:
Pinioning is mostly done on ornamental fowl (swans, geese, ect). Could you imagine spending $2000+ on a pair of swans and then having them fly away? I couldn't. I also couldn't see getting wing slapped by a bird that large everytime their flight feathers needed to be clipped- OUCH! Now, I don't really see a reason for this to be done on chickens, but waterfowl require alot more space and access to water....so pinioning them makes sense (to me, anyway).
Nikki

Pinioning is mostly done on ornamental fowl (swans, geese, ect). Could you imagine spending $2000+ on a pair of swans and then having them fly away? I couldn't. I also couldn't see getting wing slapped by a bird that large everytime their flight feathers needed to be clipped- OUCH! Now, I don't really see a reason for this to be done on chickens, but waterfowl require alot more space and access to water....so pinioning them makes sense (to me, anyway).
Nikki

That makes a lot of sense for ornamental fowl. Especially since some of them might not be suited to survive on their own once they've 'flown the coop' so to speak. Doing it to chickens seems unecessary (most are major home-bodies) and frankly kind of lazy. A painless wing clipping takes under a minute to do per chicken.

Back
Top Bottom