Dewlap Exhibition Toulouse-Incubation Diary with Pics! Hatch Day!!!

pete55

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi Everyone

Im starting off a new thread in the format of a diary. I've posted 2 previous threads on hatching a Macaw and Rheas in the incubation section which appear to be popular
fl.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472825

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472294

Here in the UK our group of Dewlaps have just started to lay as the weather turns more Spring-like. Hope to post new candling pictues every few days so the thread helps to provide a visual reference for others.

80310_sdc13656.jpg

Some of our Dewlap Toulouse earlier in the year.

So our Buff Dewlap female is paired to a Grey male descended from USA bloodlines. She's laying well but is only 1 year old and we're hoping for Grey Ganders that are split for Buff as there is no evidence that the male carries this gene. If he does then there is a chance of Buff goslings
smile.png
We've set 6 eggs in our Brinsea Octagon 40 forced air incubator on automatic turning. Temp is 37.4C, RH 35-40% and eggs hand turned 180 degrees once daily. I just hope there's going to be some fertile eggs or this is going to be a very short thread and I'll end up with egg on my face
tongue.png

80310_buff-0_days.jpg

Candling at 0 days. A fresh Dewlap Toulouse egg with a yellow glow from the yolk.

80310_buff-3_days.jpg

Candling at 3.5 days. Slight shell imperfections visible but no signs of embryonic development. The yolk appears to have a more golden/deeper colour.

80310_buff-45_days.jpg

Candling at 4.5 days. Very early embryos are visible in 2 of the eggs. The head of the embryo is pointing towards '7pm' and early blood vessels radiating out onto the yolk at '10pm' and '4pm' positions.

80310_buff-55_days.jpg

Candling at 5.5 days. The embryo has grown in the last 24 hours and it is easy to see with the naked eye. They remain in the same orientation in the egg with the head towards '7pm'. The remaining 4 eggs appear infertile.

80310_buff-65_days.jpg

Candling at 6.5 days. There has been rapid growth of the embryo and its supporting blood vessels which are spreading out over the yolk sac. Its head continue to point to the '7pm' position.

80310_buff-75_days.jpg
80310_buff-75_days_lat.jpg

Candling at 7.5 days. Continued growth and eye now visible. The picture from a side view shows the vessel development is confined to over the yolk. Soon the chorio-allantoic membrane will grow from the embryo's navel as a 'ballon' membrane that is well supplied with additional blood vessels. Turning the egg ensures even growth of this 'balloon' over the entire inner surface of the egg. This is the embryo's placenta which permits gas and water molecule exchange. The vessels over the yolk sac serve to deliver nutrients. So there is two distinct vascular blood systems each with its own function.

80310_buff-85_days.jpg

Candling at 8.5 days. The embryo continues to grow rapidly and the blood vessels have spread out over the entire upper surface of the yolk sac.

80310_buff-95_days.jpg
80310_buff-lat_95_days.jpg

Candling at 9.5 days. Now the detail is not so clear as the allantoic membrance lines the upper two thirds of the shell. This is starting to perform its function of gas and water molecule exchange to meet the growing demands of the embryo. The picture from the side shows this membrane now covers over half the inner surface of the shell.

80310_buff-105_days.jpg

Candling at 10.5 days. The detail inside the egg is becoming more difficult to see as growth continues. The embryo is now located towards the sharp end of the egg.

80310_buff-115_days.jpg

Candling at 11.5 days. The egg is gradually becoming darker as more of the details are obscured.

80310_buff-135_days.jpg

Candling at 13.5 days. The eggs are becoming progressively darker making any detail difficult to see. The air cell is continuing to enlarge.

80310_buff-175_days.jpg

Candling at 17.5 days. The chick moves vigourously during candling and the vessels of the allantoic membrane are now very large and completely line the inner egg-shell. The eggs both appear to be developing well but I believe they're not losing sufficent moisture!

80310_buff-195_days_b.jpg

Candling at 19.5 days. The eggs continue to darken and it's difficult to see detail except the mass of the gosling and yolk. The air cell should be larger but it has extended further down the egg by approx' 2mm. I've been marking its outline with a pencil and hope this can be seen in the picture above.

80310_buff-215_days.jpg

Candling at 21.5 days. The goslings are now almost filling the egg and only the vessels near the air cell line can be seen. The air cell has enlarged by approx 2mm again but should still be bigger at 21 days. Unless I can achieve a greater moisture loss these goslings may die before internal pipping!

80310_buff-235_days.jpg

Candling at 23.5 days. Both eggs developing and occassional movement seen on candling. The goslings are now occupying almost all of the egg and detail only visible just below the air cell. The air cell continues to enlarge and increasing at about 2mm every 2 days. I dont anticipate internal pipping before day 26/27 so Im hoping it will enlarge at least another 3mm before then.

80310_buff-255_days.jpg
80310_buff-aircell-255_days_d.jpg

Candling at 25.5 days. As the goslings fill the egg there is very little detail to see. The air cells have increased a further 3mm on both eggs and appear 'reasonable' but would prefer a little bigger. Incubating at 37.2C, RH25%, daily cooling and light mist, air vents open to maximum. The air cells angle down one side and have been turned with the side showing the greatest amount of air cell uppermost. Turning has now stopped. Pics show both the eggs, the left showing candling and the right showing air cell development.

80310_buff-265_days.jpg
80310_buff-aircell-265_days_d.jpg

Candling at 26.5 days and Air Cell Development. The goslings now fill the eggs and there has been a further 2mm increase in air cell size. The upper surface of the egg has been marked with a straight line to show the correct position for hatching. There are tiny 2mm shadows moving at the back side of the air cell.

80310_buff-275_days.jpg
80310_buff-aircell-275_days_d.jpg

Candling at 27.5 days and Air Cell Development. The air cells have enlarged a little more and a small faint shadowing can be seen at the back of the air cell. The eggs are beginning to 'twitch' when observed. No internal pipping yet but Im now happy with air cell size. Weight loss 15%.

80310_buff-285_days_ant.jpg
80310_buff-285_days_lat.jpg

Candling at 28.5 days, Front and Side Views. The air cells have enlarged and shadowing is visible in the air cell though not as expected!

80310_buff-aircell-285_days_c.jpg
80310_buff-aircell-285_days_d.jpg

Air Cell Size of Eggs at 28.5 days.

80310_buff-expip-285_days_c.jpg
80310_buff-expip-285_days_d.jpg

The reason for the unusual air cell shape and shadows became clear, both eggs have externally pipped but in the narrow end of the egg! Both are making a regular clicking sound which is their lung respiration. They are also faintly peeping.

80310_buff-expip-lockdown_285_days_c.jpg

Day 28.5. Both eggs are transferred to the hatcher for 'Lockdown'. Temp 37.2C and Relative Humidity 70%.

Well I came home from work this evening to a very welcome sight
wink.png
You've all followed this egg's progress for almost a month since a tiny heartbeat in the egg. We're thrilled to welcome our latest addition - WALDO!
celebrate.gif

80310_buff-hatch1-295_days_c.jpg

Day 29.5. The 1st egg has hatched!!! The gosling managed to rotate and hatch unassisted 24 hours after External Pipping. The 2nd egg is still breathing and peeping. We may choose to assist if no progress is made in the next 12 hours. However the gosling has enlarged its external pip hole.

80310_buff-assist1.jpg
80310_buff-assist2.jpg

80310_buff-assist3.jpg
80310_buff-assist4.jpg

Day 30. With no progress 36 hours after external pipping I decided to assist. The egg was candled and showed no evidence of active blood vessels and the gosling appeared trapped in an oblique position. Using a Q-tip moistened in boiled cooled water the area around the pip was probed and membrane moistened. With no blood vessels visible the membrane was opened up. At this point I could see inside the shell with a candler and confirmed yolk sac absorption. The gosling's beak was held gently though firmly and the head eased through the opening. Visibly exhausted the gosling rested and was left to warm in the incubator. After an hour the gosling became active and proceeded to kick and squeeze itself free from the shell.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

80310_buffs-day1.jpg

HELLO GOSLINGS!!! 18 hours after the 2nd gosling hatched they are both fluffed up and transferred to our rearing box under an infra-red lamp. The goslings are walking (though a little wobbly) have drunk well and are beginning to pick at Starter Crumbs. They are housed on non slip mats which are washed daily and reduce incidence of slayed legs. They're both active and progressing very well. The 2nd gosling to hatch has a bigger beak and body but is also lighter in colour. We think its a boy and girl. The boy will carry the Buff colour gene from his mother.

Thats all for now folks
wink.png

A very happy and releived Pete
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Last edited:
Yes! Thank you I just gone one of those eggs in with my Pekin duck egg order and its in the incubator right now. Thanks to a bunch of people on here I got the info I needed and I will be watching your thread closely.

Today will be day one with the eggs if that darn crazy temp spike didn't effect them. I don't think they had time to absorb that temp but who knows.

When do you think I should candle it? I was going to wait for 8 days or so but I am worried about the temp spike.

BTW I will have to take a pic of it in the turner. Its got a little belt to keep it in. I wasn't expecting such a large egg so I had to improvise a little
lol.png

Hi there.

Well if I remember I have seen the goose eggs show fertile at day 5-6. If you follow the thread (and providing I have some fertile as these are Dewlaps) then I'll take a pic and post as soon as I see anything
big_smile.png

Dont worry too much about a brief temp spike just give it a week and you'll know. Are you incubating your ?African egg on its side or vertically. They seem to do better on their sides but I have had sucess when set vertically.

Hope you'll follow the thread and keep us all posted
wink.png

Pete

I have it sitting up in the turner. I don't really have the option of hand turning it but if I could have it lay in the rack and turn on its side that way I would do it
smile.png
My work schedule keeps me out of the house for 16 hours a day a few times a week so I don't want to chance them not being turned often enough.

I will be following don't worry.
big_smile.png

Wow, they look like a basset hound crossed with a goose! How big are they? I just want to pick one up and hug it
tongue.png
I gotta see pics of these babies, I hope they hatch.

Well strange that you mention the Bassett Hound because I can see the resemblence. Guess what - here's a picture of our dog Bertie who takes all the animals in his stride
tongue.png

80310_bass-sire.jpg

Oh my gosh I must have a thing for floppy faced pets
lau.gif

Pete

There sure is a difference of opinion on the relative humidy level for hatching dewlaps. Some swear by 60 to 65%, others 20 to 30, then 30 to 40. I sure wish there was one correct answer. Then there is the whole other question about cooling and sprinkling the eggs. I'm going crazy.

Back
Top Bottom