Dewlap Exhibition Toulouse-Incubation Diary with Pics! Hatch Day!!!

Hi All

Candled the eggs at 4.5 days (108 hours) and 2 of the six eggs are showing fertile with very early embryos (and very delicate embryos for photographing)
celebrate.gif

All the eggs were removed as they were laid and dated. They were stored in a cool room on their sides and turned once daily. They were laid 2 days apart so when I set them in the incubator the youngest was a fresh egg and the eldest was 10 days old. Interestingly its the 2 eldest eggs which have shown fertile which were 10 and 8 days old when set into the incubator. However, this will only be relevant if some of the remaining 4 eggs show fertile later. Picture posted on the diary page.

Overall it was a great day yesterday as apart from having at least 2 fertile eggs from our Buff our new Grey Dewlap descended from Canadian lines laid her maiden egg
woot.gif

Shes approx' 11 months old and running with our Holderread Gander who has been mating her. She's a very big goose, so big that I vent sexed her, as I was convinced she was a young gander! Dont expect too much from her early eggs but we'll give them a try
wink.png

Pete

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

I've really enjoyed following the threads on the macaw, rhea, and now the dewlap Toulouse. Thanks so much for educating and sharing with us!

PS: My Bassett Hound's name was Cedric
lol.png

Hey Pete I want to pick your brain.....

Do you think it would be better for me to keep my egg in the turner up or is it a better idea to lay it down on the rack of the turner and secure it like that? I didn't know if it would turn enough laying down... But then again I don't know if it really turns enough sitting up.
big_smile.png
(no way for me to really hand turn with working 16 hr days a few times a week)

Thanks in advance

Hi
I would incubate on its side and secure the egg. Once a day hand turn the egg 180 degrees - that should be adequate for healthy membrane development.

Im keeping my fingers crossed for you
fl.gif

Pete

Thank you for your advise. I was thinking I should do it that way but I wanted someone who knows what they are doing to say it too. I am going to wait a few more days to do it because it was a shipped egg. I want to make sure the aircell stays intact. Not that it looked bad to begin with but I want to be sure. Now to make another ducttape belt for it. lol Don't worry no sticky touching the egg except for a tiny spot just to make sure the belt doesn't fall off.

That all sounds cool to me
cool.png

Leaving it vertical for a few days is a good idea and I did this with shipped eggs when their air cells had detached
wink.png

Its no problem - I dont mind at all and enjoy helping you folks out in the USA. Alaways had fantastic holidays in the States and the people are always SO FRIENDLY
lol.png

Spent Halloween in Disney with the family and had a ball. Serivice was A++++++++++++ and so friendly
hugs.gif

DEWLAP UPDATE
Now at 5.5 days and the 2 eggs showing early embryos are now quite distinctive and easy to see with the naked eye using the candler positioned at the air cell end. The embryo is still at an angled axis with its head towards '7pm'. New picture added to 'Diary' at beginning of the thread
wink.png

The remaining 4 eggs all appear infertile with no embryonic development visible at all. As the other 2 have been showing fertile for at least 24 hours I think its fairly accurate to conclude these will not develop. However, I'll leave them in the incubator a little longer.

Pete

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom