Dewlap Exhibition Toulouse-Incubation Diary with Pics! Hatch Day!!!

Thanks for your help Pete, running at 37.4 give or take 0.2, since reading your thread I've been running dry as I have another 3 batches in, next one due on Monday, what does the daily cooling do, and will just opening up the incy to drop the temperature be sufficient? Also thanks for your comment re tilting the eggs upwards, been worrying about this but couldn't find any definate info and quite hard to get my eggs to stand up unless I rest them on each other, is that ok? Sorry for all the questions!

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
Pete! Ive got WONDERFUL news! Baby has externally pipped and is in lockdown now! He/she is gonna make it! I'll let you all know when it hatches! Im so happy right now!
big_smile.png

Oh by the way, theres a couple of newbie questions I wanted to ask about the dewlaps if thats okay. Just curious when their bills and feet turn orange and at what age do they start developing their dewlaps and large keels? Also, is there any way to tell what sex they are besides vent sexing? With the first two I hatched out, one is slightly, but noticeably bigger than the other which makes me think it might be a gander. And now my final question, my first two babies aren't quite two weeks old, will they most likely be terribly mean to the new baby? Sorry for all the questions. I told ya I was a newb!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Morning All from across the Atlantic
cool.png

Its day 23 for the Buff Dewlap eggs so I'll candle again tonight and hope to see they've lost more moisture as they approach a critical phase. Often the Dewlaps quit at about day 24 to 27 before they internally pip and usually fail to draw their heads up towards the air cell. I do hope Im able to conclude this thread with a positive outcome
hmm.png

DaveK - appreciate your comments. The Dewlaps are problematic in acheiving adequate moisture loss. These 2 eggs have been incubated dry throughout in a forced air incubator with a humidity of 25%. Like all the eggs I've incubated Im hoping the air cells suddenly enlarge just before internal pipping and the goslings have the vigour to hatch. I did want to conclude this thread with pictures of the air cell changes, shadowing in the air cell, internal pipping, external pipping and of course hatching.

gofasterstripe - thats great news and thanks for the kind comments. It sounds like all 4 eggs are progressing well. The dramatic air cell increase coincides with the gosling drawing up its head towards hatching position. When you candle again, hold the eggs horizontal and look for shadows in the air cell which start at the back of the air cell and progress to the front. Then listen again for internal pipping. Crossing my fingers for you
fl.gif

mtacagni - tilting the eggs at a slight upward angle be propping them against the adjacent egg is exactly how I do it. The slight angle mimics the eggs' natural position in a concave nest area and helps the gosling manouvre into hatching position. Cooling for 15 minutes daily again mimics natural behaviour and gives the developing embryos an opportunity to shed any excess heat. High temperatures being far more lethal than cooler. I believe the rapid cooling permits increased moisture loss. As the heat is given up to the environment then I think water molecules are also lost via the pores of the shell. I can find no definitive answer but lots of incidences and recommendations for it. Indeed some authors have stated that it stimulates the embryo making it more vigourous. I think your question deserves more detailed investigation as this could be a major key in reducing dead in shell. I think I'll start another thread on the topic and hope you'll all join in
wink.png

Regards

Pete

Morning Lisa

Thats wonderful news, really fantastic. Almost there now and come on everybody lets all cross our fingers and toes for Lisa's Dewlap baby
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Appreciate you updating us all
wink.png

Pete

DEWLAP UPDATE DAY 23.5
Both the eggs are still developing and on candling they almost fill the egg. The air cells have grown another 2mm and I hope this rate will continue so they will have extended by another 3mm before internal pipping. Still being incubated at 25% humidity and cooled daily. Now entering a more nerve wracking time
hmm.png

On a lighter note I candled an egg from our other Buff female paired with a new Canadian line Gander and there's an embryo. Im surprised as both are only 1 year old
celebrate.gif

Also waiting for news from Lisa and Nicky to see how their eggs are doing
fl.gif

Pete

Last edited:
I had 3 eggs rocking & rollin last night, I left then at 26% humidity this morning the air sacs were a bit bigger so left them. This afternoon 1 was rocking all over the place and I was going out so I went ahead and upped the humidity incase I missed it pipping the shell. Got home and no pip yet but its chirping away everytime I tell him to hurry and pip so I know they are doing ok. Im OK..im not nervous, its going to be good.
lol.png

ya.gif
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
celebrate.gif

Ive got a new baby! Official hatch time was around 6:30 this evening! Baby is doing GRRRREAT! I'll post a pic soon if I can figure out how to do it with my phone (computer's on the fritz).

I am SO grateful to you Pete! You have literally saved this little ones life! I dont know how I can thank you enough! You have found yourself a friend for life!
hugs.gif
(southern accent and all!
yippiechickie.gif
)

Now on to my next big hatch.....8 Sebbie eggs due to hatch May 5th!!!
love.gif

Nicky, hows it going with yours? Im sending happy thoughts your way! I can't wait to hear how theyre doin!

Pete - not much longer now and theyre looking GRRREAT! You are the gosling king after all!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom