Dewlap Exhibition Toulouse-Incubation Diary with Pics! Hatch Day!!!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
pearl 1 knit 1 pearl 1 knit one

Ill make sure to pass on the advice to her. I hope she doesn't get offended
lol.png

Hi All

After a very trying last couple of days the baby Dewlap has hatched safely.

celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Believe it or not this has been quite a stressful thread to produce. I knew I was sticking my neck out making a diary that could have ended in disaster but finally we have our gosling - WALDO.

I've updated the pictures in the diary page and as you'll see not everything went quite as I planned as both eggs externally pipped last night but in the breech position. Waldo hatched unassisted despite being breech and is now resting and drying out.

The 2nd egg remains externally pipped but if there's no progress in the next 12 hours then I may assist.

Im sorry I've not been as active on the forum but Im at work until Saturday and busy with our eggs, I'll try to help all you folk with questions as soon as I can. In the meantime I must concentrate my attention on the 2nd egg.

We're hoping Waldo's a boy as he's fathered by our Holderread Gander and Buff mother, if he is a boy then he'll carry the Buff colour gene
wink.png

Thanks for all your good wishes everyone, its meant a lot to me
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Pete (and Waldo)
wink.png

Pete that is great news. My first pip was on the wrong end too. She is making no progress in over 24 hours so tomorrow I may have to try to help some. When I checked on her today I had a second pip in the right end
bow.gif

Congradulations Pete!

Good Going!

Still sitting here myself with 2 eggs, I did a float test on both of the eggs, the larger eggs aircell is more slanted than the smaller egg and the larger egg wiggles in the water, not much from the smaller egg, which is also lighter feeling.

Yesterday my Ex went out to the Geese and found 3 eggs in the nest, there were at least 5 eggs there, so he removed the eggs and brought them inside, I candled the eggs and their aircells were at 50 cent piece in size and not starting to slant yet, one I wasn't for sure of, those 3 eggs were okay in the Incubator last night, after he discovered the missing eggs from the first group of Geese he went out and removed the eggs from the Saddleback Ganders group and only found 5 eggs there, there was 10 eggs in their clutch to begin with, so he removed those eggs and brought them inside and I candled them, only one egg of the 5 appeared to be okay the rest were yolks and some of the aircells moved like liquid whenever you moved the egg, so put that one egg in the Incubator and it appeared to be further along than the ones from the first group of 3 eggs, so set it in the hatching tray with the 2 eggs I've been patiently waiting on to hatch, this morning before I left for work I went back to check my Incubator to find the one egg from the Saddleback Ganders group had just exploded in the bottom of the Incubator, so quickly removed the Lava flowing mess and pitched it out the nearest window I could get to, and went back in and cleaned up the liquid from its ooze, yuk! doesn't even describe the stench, was glad I found it right after it happened, I promptly took the other 3 eggs from the first group of geese out of the turner and gave them back to the Geese, no way do I want that kind of awful mess again and was not sure on one of those eggs, so figured it was better to apeaze the geese and let them deal with what they determine to be not viable, those eggs are somewhere around 20 days along.
I don't like how this one egg of the two is not moving much at all, I think I'm getting close to being at day 34 right now, I'd like to do something with this one egg and don't know what to do. The other larger egg has some weight to it, and when its put in water the egg dances around in the water, the smaller egg is not showing much movement at all, so I'm really concerned about the smaller egg, the bigger egg is still only shadows at the rear of the aircell and not like your picture showing a true shadow in the aircell, it's more like a flutter at the back of the aircell close to the membrane is my guess.

I sure hope your other egg hatches for you tonight. And great to see your New Waldo.

Congrats Pete, fingers crossed for egg no 2
fl.gif

I've got 6 Dewlap eggs doing well at day 16, and 8 at day 9, all running as per your brill instructions (also 12 at day 4 but just too early to tell by candling last night)

Very excited about their prospects........thanks again Pete

ep.gif
. Hooray for Pete and his new little buddy WALDO! Soooooo cute! I'm so happy for ya Pete! I'm sure baby no. 2 is gonna make it out just fine. This hatch almost done and then on to the next and then the next and the next! Lol Looks like you'll be hatchin out all sorts of little babies from the looks of your bator. Eggs of all shapes and sizes! You'll have to start a new thread or something so we can stay in touch! Talk to ya soon. Best of luck as always!

Oh by the way, my avatar should be of the new baby Glenda if I did it right. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics with my stinkin phone!

Morning All from a glorious warm Spring day in the UK.

WISHING YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY EASTER
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back at work again after only a little sleep
hmm.png

Our news is the 2nd gosling has been hatched safely at 2am (12 hours after the first and 36 hours after external pipping). This gosling had to be fully assisted and I've taken a series of pictures that may aid others that choose to do this. I'll post a description and the pics this evening. I am not advocating assistance but I do intervene to save our chicks when necessary. However this has been developed by years of experiences (and a lot of failures and losses
hit.gif
).

I will get to you all shortly but limited time as Im at work, again many thanks for YOUR support and good wishes.

Can anyone think of a name for our 2nd Dewlap???? I want a name that has connections with Easter as he/she was born on Easter Friday, our own personalised little Easter Egg
cool.png

Pete
wink.png

Well.....if you want it named after something to do with Easter then there is only 1 name to call s/he. EASTER!!!!!!
lol.png

Congratulations Pete. This has been a great thread, Ive enjoyed it..all the ups & downs not just from you but from others has been very informative.
thumbsup.gif

Star2525 - hmmm.... I would refrain from floating eggs to determine viability. Better to listen for internal pipping or observe by candling. However you can place them on a smooth work surface and they will twitch or move and that would confirm viability. Unless the gosling internally pips (and this is confirmed by its breathing noises) its almost impossible to help.

If you must intervene try to open a hole over the air cell and see if you can make out the beak against the membrane. If it's there then a tiny nick over the beak and lift the bill through the membrane with a Q-tip then seal the hole with surgical tape or the top of an old (but sterilsed in hot water) eggshell half. It'll fit over like a cap
wink.png

Replace back in the incubator and hope pulmonary respiration becomes established. This is a VERY TRICKY procedure and not one I would usually advocate.

mtacagni - great news about your eggs and hope to hear about your candling results on day5-6
wink.png

Emmalion - finger crossed for your duck egg, keep us posted.

Bye for now

Pete
wink.png

Thanks Nicky
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png

Hmmm.... Easter
hmm.png

I'll be posting pics this evening of the hatch of the 2nd gosling as its very intersting as fully assisted. After that I guess it'll be time to close this thread down and leave it as reference to help others. Dont despair as I'll start another thread and we can all jump on board or use the hatching thread started by critterranch but I dont like to take over someone's thread.

So pleased its been informative and so pleased I didnt make a fool of myself by not hatching or own goslings!!!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom