Dewormer for chickens, ducks & peafowl

BattelSyrup

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013
I would like to deworm our entire flock with one product. I've read about good dewormers for the various species we own (ducks, peafowl and chickens), but what can I use on all of them?

Anything but piperazine (Wazine) is off label for any birds, anyway. I'd probably use either albendazole (Valbazen) or fenbendazole (Safeguard,) though I'd check out each bird's forum to see if anyone says not to use it on them first, as I only have chickens.

This is a handy guide to wormers, if you haven't run into it:

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

Thanks! That is just what I needed. And eww, the photos of the worms are quite the visual.

Are you seeing worms? If you aren't there really isn't any reason to worm them.

Most products are added to water and given and recommended for poultry. Ducks have a much higher intake of water than chickens so they can easily overdose on meds that are added to water and not specified for waterfowl. Wazine is not recommended for waterfowl per the bottle. I don't have peafowl, so no idea there.

Are you seeing worms? If you aren't there really isn't any reason to worm them. Most products are added to water and given and recommended for poultry. Ducks have a much higher intake of water than chickens so they can easily overdose on meds that are added to water and not specified for waterfowl. Wazine is not recommended for waterfowl per the bottle. I don't have peafowl, so no idea there.
"Are you seeing worms? If you aren't there really isnt any reason to worm them."
Why would they want to leave their host?

Last edited:
I take a fecal sample to my vet about every
6 months as we have a problem with worms here. He gives me panacur . I put it in their feed for how ever long he says and re dose in 3 weeks. He says there is no withdraw on the eggs. I only worm when there is a problem. Some of my older hens were looking bad and keeping nasty vent feathers....I thought it was what everyone calls vent gleet but it was just a worm problem. So find a vet that will do a fecal float for you so you are sure if they have them and what type of worms they have.

Anything but piperazine (Wazine) is off label for any birds, anyway. I'd probably use either albendazole (Valbazen) or fenbendazole (Safeguard,) though I'd check out each bird's forum to see if anyone says not to use it on them first, as I only have chickens.

This is a handy guide to wormers, if you haven't run into it:

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf
I just bought Wazine and it says 'it can be used with chickens ment for meat but not to butcher for 2 weeks after dose given. Not to be used for egg layers'. I figured I could give it to my egg layers and not eat the eggs for 2 weeks. Am I wrong? Also, I was planning on hatching these eggs since I cant eat them.

"Are you seeing worms? If you aren't there really isnt any reason to worm them."
Why would they want to leave their host?
If there is an infestation of worms you will start seeing them in the feces.

Unless there is other evidence of a problem I wouldn't deworm.

I subscribe to the idea that indiscriminate medicating, including deworming, may actually do more harm than good. Parasites can develop drug resistance to meds that are given frequently and the birds aren't given the opportunity to acquire a resistance to the parasite.

If concerned, I'd at most take a fecal to the vet for testing. Get samples from several birds and mix them together so that you are getting a realistic idea of what the flock may have

Back
Top Bottom