Deworming a small amount of birds

Thank you everyone. I was looking at ease of application, as one of them is very skittish and getting her is going to be well.... interesting. She's very quick, so the feed them and snatch, nope the moment you start to move your hand she bolts, but IF you can smack her back once or twice when she bolts (but comes right back) at like the 3rd time of contact she'll jump a little then squat..... go figure. the rest, getting them will be very easy. My thought pattern was, if you put it in the food, there is no fighting, drama, running, in fact they'l push each other to get at it.

Aaron
In order to kill worms and not build resistance to the dewormer, you have to dose accurately.

Grab them off the roost at night and dose them.

Don't think it's going to be like picking up a baby, if that / when that bird panics it's on.
Then the rest of them are going to scatter, so your next one, not going to happen so easy. With that, i think Ill grab the flighty one first, the rest should be easy once they awake and see whats up,her...no...

aaron

Thank you everyone. I was looking at ease of application, as one of them is very skittish and getting her is going to be well.... interesting. She's very quick, so the feed them and snatch, nope the moment you start to move your hand she bolts, but IF you can smack her back once or twice when she bolts (but comes right back) at like the 3rd time of contact she'll jump a little then squat..... go figure. the rest, getting them will be very easy. My thought pattern was, if you put it in the food, there is no fighting, drama, running, in fact they'l push each other to get at it.

Aaron
use a fish net...don't whack them...lol
or wait until they go to roost and catch them when they are sleeping.
less stressful than chasing them around the pen.
My method....lol

When using oral wormer check for with draw times. That when you don’t want to use their eggs. Either throw them out or hatch them out. Some people say they eat them anyways but I wouldn’t.

Right now,my entire flock is real easy to catch, in face one is going to be a HUGE problem. The new little girl. She thinks im mmomma. I go outside, she wants to hop up on my lap, or worse on my back or shoulder, then start cuddling or worse picking at my hair, my moustache, my eye brows, preening my face... THis is not going to work because the novelty of it will wear off real fast, and this lil one just does NOT understand the nuclear weapon it is threatening to set off INSIDE if THAT one were to see this event occuring.

She's sweet, she's adorable,but this level of attention is just going to end badly somehow. We need to tone it down a notch or three.

Aaron

Use Fenbendazole. You can use the horse paste that @Kiki posted which is (as you might expect!) a paste. You can also get the version for goats which is a liquid.
I direct dose with a syringe and use the goat stuff - but whatever is easiest for you to give.
I pull mine off the roost at night and insert the syringe and put them back on the roost before they have time to get really mad at me.
Having a head lamp helps.
There are posts here on how to direct dose with a syringe and other posts on calculating the right dose - but I think you are more experienced than me so I will shut up unless you want more help.

The lady at the store said the dose of horse wormer paste was about the size of a pea. If that helps.
They won't like it, but the good news is when they shake their head and fling it all over you face at least you won't have worms. :D

The lady at the store said the dose of horse wormer paste was about the size of a pea. If that helps.
They won't like it, but the good news is when they shake their head and fling it all over you face at least you won't have worms. :D
A "pea sized" amount is incorrect. It needs to be measured and a dose calculated according to the chicken's weight.

Back
Top Bottom